Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Battle Subway
AOPSUser
post Jul 20 2012, 11:55 AM
Post #1

Professional Battler
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 161 074

My BW Team

Let's face it, the Battle Tower is pretty slow. You fight NPCs every hour, but that's it. Usually, battles against other people are hard to find.

But what if we put something else in the Battle section? Something to add variety to battles.

In-game, one of the ultimate goals of trainers is to gain huge streaks in the Battle Subway. Since the Subway uses random Pokemon, this would be a good way to add variety to the Battles section, as well as a way to test teams to make sure they can stand up to any Pokemon.

So, what do you guys think?

--------------------

My Shinies will guide you to my party.

Come to Smogon. (We'll teach you to battle.)

Group Banners (click to show)

Other Stuff (click to show)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Cycloneblaze
post Jul 20 2012, 12:40 PM
Post #2

The Blue Comet
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 93 314

snappers

You forgot the part where you explain what the "Battle Subway" is. confused.gif Though I assume it's some sort source of constant, random NPC battles... in which case, you couldn't just battle Cypress?
This does remind me of one time Wymsy had a thread in which we posted trainer names and 8-Pokémon teams for them. Don't know where that went at all. Could be of use here.

(Bear in mind that I have indeed played the Battle Subway in Black/White. I got to the Super Trains cat.gif)

--------------------
+Quote Post

AOPSUser
post Jul 20 2012, 02:02 PM
Post #3

Professional Battler
Group Icon

My BW Team

QUOTE(Cycloneblaze @ Jul 20 2012, 10:40 AM) *
You forgot the part where you explain what the "Battle Subway" is. confused.gif Though I assume it's some sort source of constant, random NPC battles... in which case, you couldn't just battle Cypress?
This does remind me of one time Wymsy had a thread in which we posted trainer names and 8-Pokémon teams for them. Don't know where that went at all. Could be of use here.

(Bear in mind that I have indeed played the Battle Subway in Black/White. I got to the Super Trains cat.gif)

It is indeed CONSTANT (no 1 hour waits), RANDOM (no monotony) battles, with Subway Boss Ingo battles at Battles 21 and 49.

(I have also played the B/W Battle Subways. I've gotten pretty high streaks on the Super Trains as well.)

--------------------

+Quote Post

Cycloneblaze
post Jul 20 2012, 06:21 PM
Post #4

The Blue Comet
Group Icon

snappers

QUOTE(SomeRandomDude314 @ Jul 20 2012, 08:02 PM) *
It is indeed CONSTANT (no 1 hour waits), RANDOM (no monotony) battles, with Subway Boss Ingo battles at Battles 21 and 49.

Reason for the waiting, in terms of NPC battles, is that you can get quite a few points from them if you are good. As for the user battles... battling is not hugely popular, I suppose.
But I would support this, the only thing being it would give little or no reward. Since basically you could do it until you get bored.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Synchronise
post Jul 21 2012, 11:41 AM
Post #5

[PAPER INTENSIFIES]
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 76 425

Fithos Team Delta

I would think there has to be SOME reward, otherwise why bother with it? I'd written out a response for this a day or so ago but somehow managed to...close my browser without posting it. Anyway.

What if there were a set of, say, 50 randomized teams that the user could face, also in a (semi) random order. You'd heal after every battle, but the teams (like in the Subway and the Towers long before it) would scale to your own team, making it more difficult for you to win.

You'd have to win a small number of battles to begin qualifying for prizes (let's say 7 for consistency's sake) and from that point onward you can potentially win larger and larger prizes (mostly monetary). You can choose to stop at any point and collect OR you can keep going and wagering what you've already "won" to get a larger prize.

All of the numbers are essentially placeholders, by the by.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Cycloneblaze
post Jul 21 2012, 01:02 PM
Post #6

The Blue Comet
Group Icon

snappers

QUOTE(Wraenna @ Jul 21 2012, 05:41 PM) *
I would think there has to be SOME reward, otherwise why bother with it? I'd written out a response for this a day or so ago but somehow managed to...close my browser without posting it. Anyway.

What if there were a set of, say, 50 randomized teams that the user could face, also in a (semi) random order. You'd heal after every battle, but the teams (like in the Subway and the Towers long before it) would scale to your own team, making it more difficult for you to win.

You'd have to win a small number of battles to begin qualifying for prizes (let's say 7 for consistency's sake) and from that point onward you can potentially win larger and larger prizes (mostly monetary). You can choose to stop at any point and collect OR you can keep going and wagering what you've already "won" to get a larger prize.

All of the numbers are essentially placeholders, by the by.

Sounds good. I'm going to try an find that thread I mentioned again...
And I did want there to be SOME reward, yeah. I didn't think of splitting it up like that meself.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Yamper
post Jul 21 2012, 01:39 PM
Post #7

Axew and Volcarona enthusiast
Group Icon

Member No.: 61 211

Invisible Kyurem

Mmmm this would be interesting. The wait between NPC's is rather a long time, plus they're getting slightly boring.
I suppose if this were to happen I'd definitely use it.

I presume that once you get to 7 battles you'd be able to cash in your prize and go in for more? Or once you get to 7 you have the option to stop, get your prize or continue to get more money, which you lose if you lose a battle?

In my head I'm thinking a possibility of perhaps once you get to x amount of battles it's a safe point, you've won that much. Then another 'safe' point say, twice as many battle won. Using Ryn's example of 7. 7 would be the first safe point, then 14 and then 28, 56 etc. I would presume you'd get to the 'boss' before you'd get to 56 though (if this were to mimic the actual battle subway in the games)

--------------------

Don't forget to love yourself.
Add me for daily clicks: 873/1000

[align=center]---

Community Thread Shiny List!

---[/align]
[align=right]Breeding Incentives: Mission Cards
[/align]
+Quote Post

Cycloneblaze
post Jul 21 2012, 01:47 PM
Post #8

The Blue Comet
Group Icon

snappers

QUOTE(Samoo @ Jul 21 2012, 07:39 PM) *
Or once you get to 7 you have the option to stop, get your prize or continue to get more money, which you lose if you lose a battle?

Yes.
The way I see it, anyways.

Still looking. Can't find that thread at all; Wymsy didn't make it, anyway. Maybe I should look through my (600+ horrified.gif ) posts - I sure posted in it. I'm first going to look at Nick and Jeff, though, because I really want to know I'm not going mad.

EDIT: Can't find it at all... somebody please tell me I'm not going mad?

This post has been edited by Cycloneblaze: Jul 21 2012, 02:39 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Naixatloz
post Jul 22 2012, 11:30 AM
Post #9

A-set, you bet!
Group Icon

Member No.: 56 857

QUOTE(Cycloneblaze @ Jul 21 2012, 01:47 PM) *
Or once you get to 7 you have the option to stop, get your prize or continue to get more money, which you lose if you lose a battle?

Yes.

Still looking. Can't find that thread at all; Wymsy didn't make it, anyway. Maybe I should look through my (600+ horrified.gif ) posts - I sure posted in it. I'm first going to look at Nick and Jeff, though, because I really want to know I'm not going mad.

I remember that! Wasn't it when the Battle Tower was a new thing?

Anyway, this idea is a good one. As for rewards, perhaps a small amount of money for every 7 trainers you beat, and either a larger amount of money or a held item for beating one of the bosses? When you start out, teams consist of Pokemon with basic movesets and no items. As you rack up wins, you slowly start to see Pokemon with held items and more varied movesets, and trainers will start using strategies (for example, a team specifically oriented for special sweeping).

--------------------

+Quote Post

Cycloneblaze
post Jul 22 2012, 11:44 AM
Post #10

The Blue Comet
Group Icon

snappers

QUOTE(Kamikaze Shrub @ Jul 22 2012, 05:30 PM) *
I remember that! Wasn't it when the Battle Tower was a new thing?

Oh thank Arceus, I'm not mad! *hug* x3.gif

Aaanyway, yes, it was. The thread seems to be gone altogether now; I'm just thinking that we could use it for Trainers for this idea. Be easier than making them all up again, anyway... plus, it never went anywhere that I know of.

And yeah, I think that would be the way it goes... I really hope this takes off.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Yamper
post Jul 22 2012, 12:16 PM
Post #11

Axew and Volcarona enthusiast
Group Icon

Member No.: 61 211

Invisible Kyurem

QUOTE(Cycloneblaze @ Jul 21 2012, 07:47 PM) *

Yes.

I was kinda hoping it won't be like that :c like in 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?' they have safe points. Maybe it's a bad idea to link it to a game show, but that's the only way I could explain it xD they have 2 safe points if they lose, they still get some money.

--------------------

Don't forget to love yourself.
Add me for daily clicks: 873/1000

[align=center]---

Community Thread Shiny List!

---[/align]
[align=right]Breeding Incentives: Mission Cards
[/align]
+Quote Post

AOPSUser
post Jul 22 2012, 01:04 PM
Post #12

Professional Battler
Group Icon

My BW Team

Yeah I kinda thought of this on the whim.

But yeah, this helps formulate strategies. Just like the in-game Subway.

I don't know whether the admins could implement this or not, but I'm glad that people like it.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Cycloneblaze
post Jul 22 2012, 05:20 PM
Post #13

The Blue Comet
Group Icon

snappers

QUOTE(Samoo @ Jul 22 2012, 06:16 PM) *
I was kinda hoping it won't be like that :c like in 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?' they have safe points. Maybe it's a bad idea to link it to a game show, but that's the only way I could explain it xD they have 2 safe points if they lose, they still get some money.

Hmm, well the two ideas that I've seen for rewards are this, where you get <reward> at a predefined point and can stop and keep it, or go on (potentially losing everything or getting even greater rewards along the way) to the next "checkpoint"; and the same except you cash in at the checkpoints and continue anyway (which you said, I know). I favour the former, personally; it would add a risk/reward-type dimension that would encourage you to tale risks and see how great your team really is, then build an even better one for more prizes.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:34 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.