Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
Mass Clicking Made Easy, Covers Firefox, Opera, Chrome + Tips for older comps
Natsume Reiko
post Jan 19 2010, 11:48 PM
Post #1

Smiting Fundamentalists since the 1980's.
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 43 334

Active Squad

I have written an article for the GPX Wiki but I've decided to post here for the benefits of other members. It may be similar as AT's guide but there are some tricks that I use that are different than his. The guide that I have is also friendlier to older computers that don't have that much resources to work off of which is the bane for most people. I will also include a Opera section since I've used Opera in the past to do mass clicking.

Major Resources (Browsers):

http://www.oldapps.com/firefox.php [For old versions of Firefox. I personally use 3.0.10- less of a resource hog.]

Universal Browser Rule Of Thumb:

Most browsers automatically clear your browser history but sometimes it's good to clean out your history of cookies, past links and the like so that you don't bog down your registry files. You can clean out your history by getting into the 'options' section of you browser.

Basic Tools:
-3200 dpi mouse with a scroll wheel; preferably light and form fitting to your hand to prevent stress on the wrist. Large weighted gaming mice may cause issues for extended periods of time. You can use a tablet, but that's only if you know it well enough. For beginners and the like- it's best to stick with a mouse.
-Relatively new or well kept mouse pad.
-Comfortable desk. Laptops don't really require a desk but it does cause lots of posturing issues. If you plan to do more than 1000 clicks a day, posture is vital or else it will cause carpel tunnel syndrome somewhere down the line.

Firefox:

I mainly use Firefox to do mass clicking on GPX alone. For other sites that I mass click on, I tend to use Opera since it's less of a resource hog and lets me open up 3000 tabs without crashing.

Set Up For Firefox:
-Firefox Web Browser
-Multi-links or Snaplinks Plus for newer Firefox Updates.
-Tab Kit
-Ad Block Plus (Helps with older computers)
-Table Tools
-Task Manager
-Firefox 'Options'
-Memorization of keyboard commands
-Faster Fox
-Tab Counter
-GreaseMonkey

Tab Kit:

Right after installation of Tab Kit you are given the option to group tabs via rows or trees. You can choose either however most people have found it easier if you set it to 'rows'. Here are some simple set ups that will help keep mass clicking easy with tab kit.

-Right click a tab-> Tab Kit-> Global Actions-> Options-> Tab Bar-> Check mark Horizontal Tab Bar-> OK (This will make the rows of tabs wrap so that it will fit the browser.)
-Right click a tab-> Tab Kit-> Global Actions-> Ungroup all tabs-> New Tabs-> Open at far right (This will force all tabs to open at the very far right so if you open a bunch of user profiles up and then open up their individual parties using snaplinks/multi links then they will be easier to get to.)
-Right click a tab-> Tab Kit-> Protect Tab (Locks the tab so that when you close out tabs on the browser that tab will still be open.)

Ad Block Plus:

Though not a vital part of mass clicking, it's a godsend to players who have older computers that can't run the flash driven ads that plague the site. After installation you are asked to subscribe to a server. If you're in the United States choose the server that says United States and click OK. It will block out the flash ads and make pages load a little faster.

Table Tools:

Not a very well known tool but it's extremely helpful for the Users Online list. You can easily filter out users that you have already clicked based on the number of interactions you've done with them and the like.

-Ctrl + Shift + Left Click on the Table that reads 'User' on the Users Online list

Filter based on the drop down menus such as Group, Last Action, Interactions With User and Interactions From User. Keep in mind that refreshing the list will revert the list back to its default state.

Snaplinks Plus:

Using this is very simple. You just have to right click and drag on the Users Online list and release. For more people you can right click and scroll wheel down the list. It's recommended that you open up 100 or so profiles to make room for the parties per profile. Firefox has issues with handling more than 500 tabs at a time. More often that not, anything beyond 500 tends to make Firefox crash. With all the other addons installed on Firefox it's better to be safe than sorry. Also keep in mind that you should not use snaplinks while a page is loading or else it won't work and 'break.' A simple fix to that is to close out the window and open up a new one.

Faster Fox:

It's an addon that allows you to open up more connections between your computer and the site in general and may or may not help in loading the pages faster on your end. It comes with a timer at the bottom right hand corner to let you know how long it takes for the page to load.

Info on usage to come. I've used it before but I have recently reinstalled Windows 7 on this machine.

GreaseMonkey:

Nice little tool for adding your own Javascript script for sites and such. Sigma's made a GreaseMonkey Script that makes mass clicking easier, however as a word of warning- If you're on an older computer chances are that it will put too much stress on the processor/memory. Also I've noticed that if you go beyond 300 tabs with the settings, the script likes to break all over itself.

For more info- Sigma's thread:

http://forums.gtsplus.net/index.php?showtopic=31312

Tab Counter:

Snaplinks also keeps count of how many tabs you are about to open when you highlight the online list with the counter at the bottom right hand corner, but if you're not prone to looking below then Tab Counter is for you. The Tab Counter is situated to the top right hand corner of your browser and shows you how many tabs you are about to open.

Resource: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4346

Firefox Keyboard Commands:

If you're going to be a long term mass clicker or click for long periods of time you have to have ample knowledge of Firefox's browser keyboard commands. Knowing them will significantly cut down on time.

-Ctrl + Tab (Moves you forward one tab. You can hold down the keys to swiftly scroll forward.)
-Ctrl + Shift + Tab (Moves you back one tab. You can hold down the keys to swiftly scroll backwards.)
-Ctrl + Shift + W (Closes out all tabs. You are given the option of Close All Tabs, Close Unprotected Tabs and Cancel. If you have Tab Kit you should click on Close Unprotected Tabs.)

For Laptops Or Different Keyboard Setup:

-Ctrl + Page Down (Moves you forward one tab.)
-Ctrl + Page Up (Moves you back one tab.)

Task Manager:

I wouldn't suggest using this unless you know your computer well enough. Using Window's Task Manager can help with getting more out of your computer to support Firefox. By setting priorities you can put more of your computer's resources towards Firefox. It's not much of a boost but sometimes will help with older computers.

-Windows Task Manager-> Processes-> firefox.exe-> Set Priority-> (Whatever priority you want.)

Keep in mind that you may have to fix the priorities of other programs before setting Firefox's priorities or else it can cause issues for your computer.

Firefox Options:

Once again this can apply to older computers or mass clickers that want to take it up a notch with speed. By manipulating Firefox's web browser options you can speed things up with mass clicking. Be sure to return the settings back to default once you finish or else you will have trouble using Firefox for normal web browsing.

-Tools-> Options-> Content-> Uncheck mark the Load images automatically option-> OK

This will disable all images on the site and help keep things simple when clicking since you're not running into large Pokemon or dress ups.

404 And 504 On GPX:

Sometimes the site will derp and you will get 404/504 error messages several times in a row. Closing out that many tabs can prove a pain in the ass. There's a way to refresh all loaded tabs just in case you get more than 6 404/504 messages in a row. Do note that this should not be attempted if you have 100+ tabs open at a time because it may cause Firefox to crash in a lovely manner.

-Right click a tab -> Close Left Tabs (Do this first so that you can close out tabs you have already clicked.)
-Right click a tab-> Reload All Tabs

Opera:

This browser has a lot of nice built in feature and in some way makes it much better than Firefox in user utility alone. It requires very little addons since most of it is built in which is very nice. However it has a rather retarded feature called Opera Turbo which is horrid. Another down side is that it can be a bit slow to use at times. You will have to disable certain features in Opera 10 since they're pretty much useless.

Set Up With Opera:

-Opera 10 (Check the First Resources section at the top. You can DL it from oldapps.com)
-Javascript plug in script
-Opera Config settings
-Opera Options
-Opera Keyboard Shortcuts

Snaplinks For Opera:

Unlike Firefox, Opera doesn't have an official plug in for Snaplinks. The script that I'm going to link to you is something a user created. It works the same way as Snaplinks but it uses the LEFT click instead of the right click and drag feature. Here's the link for the script, be sure to follow the directions to install it properly.

http://files.myopera.com/AyushJ/scripts/snap-links.js

-Right Click -> Save As-> Save Javascript Document onto the Desktop/My Documents, don't change the name
-Right Click-> New Folder-> Name-> Opera Snaplinks-> Copy/Cut and Paste the document in the folder
-Open Opera Browser-> Tools-> Preferences-> Advanced-> Content-> Javascript Options-> Choose-> C:\Users\Account Username\Opera Snaplinks-> OK-> OK (Needs to be done twice.)

Opera Options:

Opera Turbo

On the left hand corner of the Opera browser will be a circular icon that looks like a meter. This is Opera Turbo and the most useless feature of Opera. It will slow you down more than help you speed things up. Here's how to disable it:

-Click the icon-> Configure Opera Turbo-> Checkmark the Off settings-> Uncheckmark the Notify me about network
speed-> OK

Clearing The Cache/History:

This is a very useful thing to use since it clears away temporary files that might slow you down with loading web pages and the like.

-Opera Tools-> Preferences-> Advanced-> History-> Clear and Empty the Addresses and the Memory Cache-> OK

You could check mark Empty on exit but that will only clear the memory cache when you close out Opera. If you're doing more than 1000 clicks a day, it's best that you manually clear it out every couple thousand interactions.

Opera Config Settings:

Like all web browsers, Opera has a way to speed up your connection with the site but that requires you to go into its configuration settings and manually fixing that yourself. Fasterfox for Firefox makes the process easier for the Average Joe. However you might want to read up on pipelining before messing around with the Config Settings. If you're ready and willing, here's how to access it:

-Address bar-> Type in opera:config-> Performances-> Max Connections Total (Go as high or low as you want) and Max Connections Total (Once again go as high or as low as you want)-> Save

This should increase the number of connections that you have with the site, thus making it faster to load on the browser.

Opera Keyboard Shortcuts:

Opera's default keyboard shortcuts to be blunt- is freaking stupid and backwards on so many levels. However there is a way to fix its retardation via configuring the keyboard settings. (Why they make it so retarded is well beyond me...) This will be a lengthy guide and thus will be saved for another day when I'm not feeling like shit.

Woot I'm a lazy bastard, here it is guys- the famed tutorial. Be sure to follow it closely.

Resource: http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/add-modify-keyboard-shortcut

Chrome:

I have always loved using Chrome since it's less of a resource hog and pretty snappy to use. However its downfalls have been the lack of a snaplinks feature. If you have an old computer prone to giving you a headache I suggest using this browser.

Resources:

-Linky:-
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail...plolmkgicojmgnd USE WITH EXTREME CAUTION. NOW THAT THE CHROME EXPERIMENTAL ADD ONS ARE NO LONGER BETA- THERE'S CHANCE THAT LINKY WILL OPEN EVERYTHING.

Link Master:

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail...logmbifhpfbflkd (I don't know how this program will operate and how well but it's an alternative from what I can see.)

-AdThwart:-
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail...lifddb?hl=en-US

Set Up With Chrome:

-Google Chrome (Experimental Extension. Make sure that you download this since it will allow you to use the experimental add ons/plug ins for the browser.)
-Link Master (Chrome's Verison of Snaplinks. There is some lag on the initial highlighting process.)
-AdThwart (Chrome's Version of Ad Block Plus.)

Link Master:

Manticore decided to do some experimenting on Link Master and Chrome and found that it lags a little bit on the initial load but won't crash your browser like Linky. From what I gather it's great for casual clickers since Chrome takes up less processing power than Firefox. It's not going to make you a power clicker per say but can get you a good amount of interactions on the casual scene.

More to come...

Computer Hardware/Software:

I've added this bit since not everyone is well versed with alternative software that can help computers run better and more efficiently. This will cover things from anti-spyware/malware, anti-virus and other third party software that isn't resource intensive as mainstream equivalents. Defragging and running these cleaning programs can actually help a ton when it comes to utilizing your current computer resources.

Resources:

-7zip: http://www.7-zip.org/ (An alternative program for unzipping .rars, .zip files. Be sure to Download the .exe instead of the other downloads.)
-CCleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com/ (Cleans out your registry files and browser histories/temp files.)
-Avast Antivirus: http://www.avast.com/index (Great anti-virus program that does its job.)
-Open Office: http://www.openoffice.org/ (Think free version of Microsoft Office but much less resource intensive for older computers.)
-Spybot Search and Destroy: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html (Gets rid of malware/spyware that managed to get onto your computer.)
-GIMP: http://www.gimp.org/ (Free, watered down version of Photoshop if you want to do some graphics and art without having Photoshop's resource raping.)

(Has more but they're not coming to mind haha.)

Most of these programs aren't that resource intensive and are really helpful on both new and old computers.

New GPX Plus:

I wanted to do a small rundown on things that will work and won't work with New GPX since I've been in the closed beta for a while before the open beta on Saturday. Don't freak out though, since in the long run, it makes clicking easier.

What Works:
-Snaplinks/Multi-Links
-Tab Counter
-Tab Kit
-Ad Block Plus

What Won't Work:

-Table Tools (Added with the toggle feature and the nothing to interact feature, it's not really needed.)

This post has been edited by BAWWW PIXELS: Feb 20 2010, 12:00 AM

--------------------
~~~~Credit goes to Commander Wymsy.

Important info about myself (click to show)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Darth Krytie
post Jan 20 2010, 12:11 AM
Post #2

This one does not have time for your solid waste excretions.
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 22 312

Team Awesomecakes

Thanks for some of the hints geared toward older compies. Mine's coming on nine years. (But it's only four on the inside.)

--------------------

Please use the Help Page and appropriate Help Forum instead of PMing me. Only PM if it's something you need me or an Admin for specifically.
+Quote Post

Kazz
post Jan 20 2010, 12:16 AM
Post #3

Elite Four
Group Icon

Member No.: 32 330

Active Squad

Regarding table tools, I've never actually used it that way. I simply hold ctrl+alt and click one of the column headers (almost always the "Interactions with user" column) which then filters it.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Carefactorzero
post Jan 20 2010, 12:21 AM
Post #4

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 19 837

Active Squad

I approve. My computer's only 2 years old, so I'm clueless when it comes to mass-clicking with older machines. XP

Would you mind if I link this on my page so users of older computers know where to go?

404 And 504 On GPX:

Sometimes the site will derp and you will get 404/504 error messages several times in a row. Closing out that many tabs can prove a pain in the ass. There's a way to refresh all loaded tabs just in case you get more than 6 404/504 messages in a row. Do note that this should not be attempted if you have 100+ tabs open at a time because it may cause Firefox to crash in a lovely manner.

-Right click a tab-> Reload All Tabs.

It might be worth noting that you should close off all the tabs you've clicked already (right click a tab > close left tabs) before you decide to refresh all tabs. It reduces the chance of a crash and it makes the pages load a little faster, depending on how many less tabs there are to load after closing off the ones you're finished with.
+Quote Post

Natsume Reiko
post Jan 20 2010, 12:24 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Active Squad

Feel free to do so. I'm also writing up one for Google Chrome for those that use it. Haha. Thanks for the tip by the way. My computer's relatively new so it kind of slipped my mind.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Shiorikazen
post Jan 20 2010, 12:33 AM
Post #6

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8 315

Active Squad

Nice tutorial, thanks! This will help when I mass click on my desktop computer (because that one is about 8 years old and VERY prone to crashing)

--------------------

Please warm / feed them!

+Quote Post

Natsume Reiko
post Jan 20 2010, 12:59 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

Active Squad

No problem, glad that it will come in handy. I've also added a few things that may help with cleaning up some stuff on older computers that may make user performance better. It's not a permanent solution to aging machines but it does help with making the best of what you have.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Love
post Jan 20 2010, 01:00 AM
Post #8

If love is a labor, I'll slave till the end
Group Icon

Member No.: 57 047

Active Squad

My computer isn't very old, but it is a low-end machine, so the more tips, the better. Thanks! happy.gif

--------------------

Married on May 8, 2011!
Past names: Fearow, Mewtu, Mebukijika, Sawsbuck, Truth
+Quote Post

Kazz
post Jan 20 2010, 01:04 AM
Post #9

Elite Four
Group Icon

Active Squad

Along the lines of ctrl+shift+tab you could also click ctrl+page up (moves to tab to the left) and ctrl+page down (to the right).

It's more useful for me anyway because 1) only 2 keys to hold, and 2) location of keys on a laptop.

I look forward to the guide on Chrome. I like to use it sometimes since it uses less memory.

This post has been edited by Izzy Swagg: Jan 20 2010, 01:05 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Natsume Reiko
post Jan 20 2010, 01:15 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Active Squad

True but that may also prove problematic with desktop users. I will add that though and put a warning that it might be more useful for laptop users since they have different set ups. I agree with Chrome. It's much more stable than Firefox at times. I will do my best with Chrome since there isn't much for it haha.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Kazz
post Jan 20 2010, 01:22 AM
Post #11

Elite Four
Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(BAWWW PIXELS @ Jan 20 2010, 01:15 AM) *
True but that may also prove problematic with desktop users. I will add that though and put a warning that it might be more useful for laptop users since they have different set ups. I agree with Chrome. It's much more stable than Firefox at times. I will do my best with Chrome since there isn't much for it haha.

Right, I'm not so sure they'd be all that useful for desktop users because of where those particular keys are and vice versa when it comes to ctrl+shift+tab for laptop users. In any event, figured I'd mention it just to let ppl know.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Carefactorzero
post Jan 20 2010, 01:43 AM
Post #12

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 19 837

Active Squad

I must thank you for listing the FasterFox add-on. happy.gif Even though I've yet to adjust anything for it t this stage (unless the about:config page settings plays a role somewhere here), the loading speed in multiple tabs has increased dramatically on my end. (though a few tabs near the end take a while, 35 parties beats 15. XP)
+Quote Post

Natsume Reiko
post Jan 20 2010, 01:46 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

Active Squad

Heh. No problem. It's much easier to use than fumbling around on the config page since not everyone knows how to access it or deal with it.

--------------------

+Quote Post

harryhorsetoy
post Jan 20 2010, 01:54 AM
Post #14

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 68 804

Active Squad

QUOTE(BAWWW PIXELS @ Jan 20 2010, 06:46 AM) *
Heh. No problem. It's much easier to use than fumbling around on the config page since not everyone knows how to access it or deal with it.

Thanks so much happy.gif This really helps.
+Quote Post

Akina
post Jan 20 2010, 05:21 AM
Post #15

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 67 377

My Girl Crew

Definitely helps. I think if you combine the two guides it will be good.

Question - how can you open multiple tabs in Opera?

This post has been edited by cuty 93: Jan 20 2010, 05:33 AM

--------------------

These eggs images are all those of my brother. I am on temporary hiatus (on the main site), but still use the forums. I wanted to put my signature to good use.

+Quote Post

Natsume Reiko
post Jan 20 2010, 06:23 AM
Post #16

Group Icon

Active Squad

I will post up that guideline soon. *Is tired and has been up all night* @_@

--------------------

+Quote Post

ChicagoBULLS
post Jan 20 2010, 06:30 AM
Post #17

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 71 123

Platinum Team

WOW. Table Tools is fucking amazing. Thanks a lot man.

You know, one thing I've noticed when I mass click and have around 200 windows open at once, Firefox starts to go ballistic. The memory usage will jump up to about 200,000K. I'm using an old computer, so it gets to the point where it's chugging. It's currently at 77K which is normal. Is there any way to fix that?

It's even worse if I listen to music and mass click.

And I can't find a Fasterfox for Firefox 3.5.7.

This post has been edited by Confusious: Jan 20 2010, 06:33 AM

--------------------
[align=center]
59-20
The Chicago Bulls will win the Championship. Watch.
#winning, unlike Raven, who fights like a girl.[/align]

Sorry, I might actually be a girl.

-- Raven
+Quote Post

ItsNotOverYet
post Jan 20 2010, 06:35 AM
Post #18

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 61 771

Active Squad

thanks very much for the table tools tip
that's the only thing that always annoyed me, because I didn't know how to filter it grin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

Natsume Reiko
post Jan 20 2010, 06:55 AM
Post #19

Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Confusious @ Jan 20 2010, 06:30 AM) *
WOW. Table Tools is fucking amazing. Thanks a lot man.

You know, one thing I've noticed when I mass click and have around 200 windows open at once, Firefox starts to go ballistic. The memory usage will jump up to about 200,000K. I'm using an old computer, so it gets to the point where it's chugging. It's currently at 77K which is normal. Is there any way to fix that?

It's even worse if I listen to music and mass click.

And I can't find a Fasterfox for Firefox 3.5.7.

Unfortunately there really isn't a way to fix Firefox's infamous memory leaks. I can only recommend downgrading to Firefox 3.0.10-.15 or so. The memory leaks aren't as bad in the older versions. I normally only have one Firefox window open for mass clicking and one Chrome window for regular browsing. Chrome isn't as resource intensive as Firefox and makes a good browser for checking your e-mail and stuff while Firefox is chugging through loading tabs.

@ItsNotOverYet: Glad to help out with Table Tools. cat.gif

*Feeling somewhat dead to the world* I will come back in a couple of hours and finish up the Opera Tutorial and see what I can do with Chrome since I haven't dabbled too much into it.

This post has been edited by BAWWW PIXELS: Jan 20 2010, 06:57 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

gretchen8642
post Jan 20 2010, 02:44 PM
Post #20

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 14 554

Best team ever.

Thanks for the tips!

--------------------

i always click back! wailord.gif

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:49 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.