Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
Hall of Infamy, Of Contests, Thievery, and horrible titles!
Cube
post Jul 6 2009, 04:51 PM
Post #1

Factory Head
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 20 693

PANE Party

"And now, the winner of the League MVP Award, The best batter in Orre, SPENCER THORN OF THE AGATE PIKACHUS!"
"Thank you! Thank you! You're too kind Cynthia! I love your bikini by the way..."
"Oh, thank you Spencer. I put in on just for Chansey!"
"Huh?"
"Chansey! Chan, Chansey!"

Light filled Spencer's mind, as he was suddenly made aware of the fact that he wasn't being presented an award by a beautiful woman in a Bikini, and instead was lying on the top bunk of a rickety old bed in a Pokemon Center. In fact, Agate Village didn't even have a baseball team! What the hell was he dreaming about?

Putting on his glasses, Spencer could see a Chansey standing near the freshly opened curtains. Content that at least one of the trainers was awake, the Chansey left a small tray covered in various notes on the night stand. Waving goodbye with a cheerful proclamation of it's name, the Egg Pokemon happily bounced out of the room.

Still groggy, Spencer barely managed to climb out bed without hurting himself. Grabbing some clothing and toiletries from his bag, Spencer made his way to the restroom, to clean himself up.

---A short period of time later---

After a shower and a change of clothing, Spencer felt a bit more alert, though his nagging hunger served to dull his senses a bit. Ice Cream does not a proper dinner make, after all. He'd have to go get breakfast soon...

"Maybe that Chansey brought a breakfast menu or something..." he thought, as he went through the contents of the tray. Most of the tray was covered in advertisements for various local businesses, but something on the top of the pile caught Spencer's attention. It was a letter, printed on violet bordered stationary.

"Dear Messrs Thorn and Faland,
Mr. Refson, our talent agent, has advised us to request your presence at the Port Barley Contest Hall this morning to partake in our Practice Rank contest. All contestants who qualify shall be presented with a Ribbon, an official League Contest Pass. The Hall is open to any guests who wish to register. However, Mr. Refson has insisted that you both take part in our 10 O'clock contest this morning. We have taken the liberty of registering you both. We hope to see you there.
Jose Contesta, Pokemon Coordination Society Judge."

Spencer's eyes widened as he skimmed the letter. "Waker! Wake up!" He said, rushing over to his friend's bedside. "They want us to be in the 10 o'clock contest at the Practice Hall today! What time is it?" Spencer glanced at the clock. "It's 8:30! Crap! We have to get ready! You get dressed, I'll wake the girls!"

Grabbing his bag, Spencer quickly ran out into the Pokemon Center, making a quick stop at the front desk to order a quick breakfast and to check for Connie and Verity's room number.

"Connie! Verity! Wake up!" he called, as he pounded on their door. "They want us at the Contest Hall at 10! Mr. Refson invited us himself!"

Deep down, Spencer felt a twinge of apprehension about the whole situation. I mean, Uta did freak Vincent and Azzy out yesterday... Still, a chance to get a start as a Coordinator was something he wasn't going to pass up! Even if it did mean spending more time around Glittertooth...

This post has been edited by CubeB: Jul 8 2009, 11:31 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Ganymede
post Jul 6 2009, 05:54 PM
Post #2

beep boop
Group Icon

Member No.: 32 142

aw yeah

Everything was blue, for miles and miles around. The ground, covered in a thin layer of water, reflected the perfect cerulean of the sky, unmarred by a single cloud. Waker couldn't remember having a nicer dream - there was an overwhelming sense of calm in this place, a feeling of peace.
"This is nice," he sighed, before realising what had just happened. He clapped his hand over his mouth, eyes wide with shock.
I talked! I actually talked! Overjoyed, Waker opened his mouth again, only to hear a splash behind him. He turned and the endless blue vanished, replaced by a pale, grey-eyed face framed by messy black hair. Waker, blinked, confused, as the face began to talk.

"Waker! Wake up! They want us to be in the 10 o'clock contest at the Practice Hall today!"

Waker sat up slowly, head spinning. Bright sunlight filled the room through the windows on the east wall, pale pink curtains drawn back. But...the windows in my room are on the south wall, he thought dizzily, brushing his hair from his face. Did I fall asleep in the living room again? ...Oh! Shaking his head, Waker slowly remembered what had happened yesterday. The ferry ride, running into Spencer, arriving at Port Barley, the girls...

"It's 8:30! Crap! We have to get ready! You get dressed, I'll wake the girls!" Confused, Waker watched as Spencer, already fully dressed, jetted out of the room, the door slamming behind him. He quickly got out of bed and looked around, noticing the tray on the nightstand. He quickly found the letter, a smile twitching at the corners of his mouth. He set the letter back down, grabbed his bag and scarf, and ran into the bathroom to get ready, the peaceful blue of his strange dream completely forgotten.

---

After a shower and a bit of digging in his bag, Waker had found a light blue shirt his mother must've stuffed under his jacket just before he left. He pulled it over his head, throwing his sweater into his bag. The scratches on Waker's arm had started to heal, the tinge of green around the edges gone. I should get another bandage, just in case, he thought. He picked up his bag and slung it over his shoulder, deciding to let Azzy out after a moment of hesitation.

The second the small Pokemon was free, it launched itself at Waker, crying loudly. "Ni, Ni Ni Niiii!" he shouted, as Waker clumsily held the squirming Pokemon in his arms. Azzy sniffled and nudged his injured arm with his nose, looking up at his trainer apologetically. "Nii, Nido Nido!"

Okay, okay! Apology accepted! Waker laughed soundlessly as Azzy licked his chin before clambering onto his shoulder, pressing as close as he could to Waker's neck. The boy rubbed the Poison Pin Pokemon between the ears as he left the room and went out into the main lobby. A quick glance at the clock told him it was a little past nine. The nurse at the desk flashed him a smile before noticing the scratches on his arm.

"Oh, wait a second...Hey! Joy!" One of the other nurses - identical to the first - poked her head out of the back room. Waker wondered how she knew it was her being called and not one of the other Joys. "Get Happy out here, that's the boy she was telling us about last night." Feeling a little embarrassed, Waker stood still as the other Joy sighed and vanished back into the room, coming out a second later with the Happiny in her arms. The small pink Pokemon held a fresh cloth in her hands, a determined look on her face. The nurse stopped next to Waker, holding the Happiny up as she re-bandaged his arm. The Joy gave him a small smile.

"She takes her job very seriously." She said, as the Happiny finished tying the bandage with a flourish. "Oh, your friend was down here earlier. The tall one? He ordered breakfast for you and the girls you were with last night." The nurse nodded toward the common room. "It's on the counter back there."

As Waker, Azzy, and Pora - who had been released at the mention of food - sat down to their French toast, Waker wondered how the Practice Contest would go. He couldn't shake the feeling that someone about Uta wasn't right...Azzy didn't just attack people out of the blue. Oh well, he thought, watching Azzy and Pora as they fought over some toast. I'm sure today will be fine.

OOC (click to show)
+Quote Post

Verity Lily
post Jul 8 2009, 05:51 AM
Post #3

Butterfree Farm
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 11 834

Heart Gold

Verity's dreams had been haunted by gigantic miltanks, dozens, hundreds, thousands of them, rolling out at her from every direction. She had been screaming and running, but one finally bore down on her, trapping her against a giant pokemon badge. Sobbing, she looked up to see that the miltank was looking down at her with deep sadness. The tragedy in its eyes and its long, despairing cry of MIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLK was almost worse than her terror of being crushed...

She woke up to the sure knowledge that the nightmare was true and she was indeed being crushed by miltanks. There was heavy weight on her back, on her legs, over her arms... She huddled in terror.

"Connie! Verity! Wake up! They want us at the Contest Hall at 10! Mr. Refson invited us himself!"

Verity blinked her eyes open, and realised there were no miltanks at all. Connie was curled against her back, Butchette was dozing across her feet, and her arms were full of pokemon egg. The bed had indeed ended up very crowded. But Verity was safe and loved.

She managed to struggle gently out of the pile of human and pokemon bodies into a sitting poistion, trying to come back to reality. It was a very silly thing, she knew, to be scared of miltanks - especially for a girl raised on a farm that bred them! Connie had no fear of them at all - she milked them. Verity tended to be breathless with admiration at that. She was so scared of their hooves, and their big mouths, and most of all, the round pink bodies that could curl up and be lethal... She had often been very glad that her partner pokemon was a fighting type, when she had needed to go near them. Fighting beats normal, fighting beats normal, she would silently reassure herself.

Those miltanks last night had really, really bothered her.

Somehow, through the sleepiness and haze of nightmare, the meaning of Spencer's words finally broke through. Verity stooped over and gently shook her best friend. "Connie! Connie, wake up! We need to go to the contest hall!" She turned back to the door and tried to get up. "Spencer, we'll be down in a min-"

In her haste, Verity's foot caught on Henrietta, who had slipped to the floor during the night, and the pokedoll made her lose her balance. She managed to steady herself by clutching at Connie, but the pokemon egg slipped from her hands and crashed to the floor.

"No! Oh, no!" Verity dropped to her knees and snatched it up. "It's cracked!" Tears of guilt and horror welled up in her eyes, threatening to make the whites as red as the irises.

--------------------

Legendaries (click to show)

group banners (click to show)
+Quote Post

ROMANA
post Jul 8 2009, 01:37 PM
Post #4

Connie Plinth
Group Icon

Member No.: 11 833

Connie's Team

Connie was fast asleep. Her mouth was open and (if only she had been aware of it, she would have been horrified) she was dribbling. In her dreams, she was on Butterfree Farm and the Magikarp in the pond was splashing her while she tried to catch a Psyduck that had stolen her backpack. The Psyduck was saying something about contest halls.

"'m hungry," Connie muttered, as she came to.

"No! Oh, no! It's cracked!"

"Oh no!" Connie didn't need to force herself to wake up at that, her befuddled mind caught up with things fast. "Here, let me see," she said, swinging her legs over the edge of the bunk and sliding into a kneeling position on the floor next to her friend and the Egg. She gently rubbed the top of the egg with a frown. "How far did you drop it?" she asked. "Because I don't know..." her voice trailed off, not quite ready to admit the near misses that had occurred with Torchie. "I think pokemon eggs are pretty sturdy. Maybe you should ask Nurse Joy to have a look before... while I go and find us some breakfast."

Connie got up and realised she was still in her clothes.

"Were you trying to wake me?" she asked as she washed her face in the sink and plaited her scruffy hair. "Only Psy... I think I remember something about a contest hall?"

"Oh! Spencer was knocking on the door!" said Verity, looking up from her egg, for a moment. "We've been invited to the contest hall!"

"Hooray! We'll be there in a minute, Spencer," called Connie. "Come on, lets get your Egg to Nurse Joy. Oh, Verity, what if it's hatching?"

This post has been edited by ROMANA: Jul 8 2009, 01:40 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Verity Lily
post Jul 8 2009, 02:07 PM
Post #5

Butterfree Farm
Group Icon

Heart Gold

"Do you really think so?" Verity asked uncertainly, scrutinising the egg. There was a long crack over the top. "Butchette took much longer, didn't you? And then your shell kind of flaked off all in a hurry. Maybe it really is hurt." She sniffled. "I'll go to Nurse Joy like you said."

The girls had fallen asleep in their clothes. Another time, Verity might have remembered the pink dress stuffed in her backpack, but she was too anxious even to wash her face. She pulled on her shpes and socks, grabbed her jigglypuff backpack, stood up, clutching her egg and -

"Ma-CHOP!" came a very firm voice. Verity looked down to see her partner pokemon holding out its arms, with a determined expression on its greyish face.

"Oh! Yes, um - maybe you'd better take care of the egg, Butchette. Just in case." Verity handed it over obediently, and her machop carried it firmly and gently.

Verity swung open the door, gasped "We'dlovetocometothecontesthallbutwehavetoseeNurseJoyrightNOWpleasetellConniewha
'shappeningweneedtoGO!" all in one breath at Spencer, and scurried toward the business area of the pokemon centre. Butchette shrugged expressively at Spencer, and followed more sedately.

"Nurse Joy! Please look at my egg! I dropped it!" Verity wailed.

Nurse Joy gave her a reasurring smile and picked up the egg from Butchette's protective grasp. "I'll just check it in the pokemon machine, dear. I'm sure it's okay."

Verity flopped on the seats in relief, registering properly for the first time that Waker was there. "Oh, your arm! Is it okay?" She examined it gently. "It looks like Happiny did a good job of it. Oh, Waker - are you going to compete? I don't think I'm ready - but I might have a new pokemon by then!"

Nurse Joy came back, bearing the egg. "It's fine, Verity, it's just hatching. It will be only a few hours now, at most. See, if you put your ear close to it, you can hear it moving." Verity, dizzy with relief, put her ear against the shell, and giggled with delight at the scritching noises inside, gesturing Waker to hear, too.

Joy's sweet, pretty face took on a graver expression. "But, Verity, it sounds like you've been a very careless girl. I know you're a clever little girl, I've known you since you were tiny, but you're a pokemon trainer now,. That's not just something you can learn out of books or out of a pokedex.You have to be responsible for your pokemon, too. It's not okay just to rely on Butchette and Connie to look after you - you have to look after your own pokemon, and that includes Butchette."

Verity's face turned as pink as her hair.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Cube
post Jul 8 2009, 03:09 PM
Post #6

Factory Head
Group Icon

PANE Party

Spencer was nearly toppled over when Verity burst out of her room, screaming something about needing to see the nurse. Butchette followed behind, cradling a pink egg in her arms. Bewildered, the young man followed the girl to the business center, where she was frantically talking to a Nurse Joy.

Spencer calmed down a bit when he heard about the situation. "Pokemon Eggs are pretty tough Verity. They're like rocks, almost. You really should have been using an Egg Case though. It's much safer."

Spencer caught another glimpse of the clock. Only a few minutes had passed, but a few minutes was like a few hours in Spencer's eyes. Rushing to the nearest PC, Spencer immediately logged onto Video Chat. Spencer nervously tapped his fingers against they Keyboard as he held the receiver to his ear. "Please Stacy inside..." he muttered.

A few moments later, a video feed appeared on the screen. A girl slightly older than Spencer - her black hair held back with a green bandanna - hand answered the phone.

"Spencer!" she said, pleased to see him. "Why are you calling so early? You're lucky you caught me while I was getting some more food for the Pokemon." A Cyndaquil peered into view, curiously looking at the camera.

"Hi Sis, Hello Cindy." said Spencer, waving at the fire mouse Pokemon. "I've got great news! This talent scout liked my Pokemon, and he wants me to participate in this Practice Contest! Isn't that amazing?"

"Well... it would be..." The girl's voice trailed off as she scratched behind the Cyndaquil's ear, trying to avoid the subject.

"What? Why wouldn't it be amazing Stacy?"

"Spencer... I know you love your Pokemon like they're your Children, but they just don't match up with what you've been training them for!" said the woman. "Like Celia. What's her favorite flavor of Poffin?"

"Sour, but what's that have to do with anything?"

"You're training her for Beauty Contests, and all she will eat are sour poffins? Her sheen will be all wrong Spencer! It might be good for battles, but it's horrible to use a tough Pokemon in a Beauty contest! And Nils, all he'll eat are Sweets, yet you're training him for cool contests. And Vincent is too inclined to Dry food for tough contests!"

"Cynda!" The fire-type seemed to agree with Stacy, nodding along with every sentence.

"So you're saying my Pokemon won't win because they eat the wrong food, Stacy?"

"It's been scientifically proven you know. Professor Birch recently released a report about the relationship of flavors and Pokemon Development..."

"Stacy..." Spencer looked exasperated. "Will you just send me my tuxedo... I don't want to talk about this right now..."

"Alright Spencer... But look, you still have a shot at the Pokemon League, even if you don't have a Pokemon groomed for contests."

"Just send it over? Please?" Said Spencer.

"Fine... let me put this on speaker." The woman pressed a button on her keyboard and set down the handset. "Uncle! Could you do me a favor?" she called. Someone must have responded, because she continued on. "Could you bring Spencer's Tuxedo down? I need to send it to him."

A few moments later, an old man in a bucket cap and Hawaiian shirt appeared on screen, carrying a large hanging bag. "Hello! Hello! Spencer, how are you doing? Hows the Pokemon Journey going?"

"It's going fine Uncle." said Spencer. "I've made some new friends too. Waker, Connie, and Verity."

"Waker, Connie, and Verity?" said the old man. "Those are wonderful names! So fortunate! But do you know what would be an even better name?"

"Um... just give me the Tuxedo, uncle." said Stacy, taking the bag from him. "You can go rate names in town later."

"Alright..." said the man, clearly disappointed as he walked off screen. In the mean time, Stacy grabbed a strange, Poke ball like device, using it to "capture" the tuxedo in a flash of light. Placing the device into a small machine just off screen, she pressed a few buttons on her keyboard.

A small cylindrical device near the PC flashed, as the small Poke Ball-like device materialized.

"There." said Stacy. "Good luck with your contest."

"Thank you." said Spencer, grabbing the ball from the machine and dropping it into his bag. "Tell Mom I said hi."

"I will, take care."

Spencer logged off of the PC, his objective accomplished. Still, he couldn't help but feel disturbed by his sister's words. "My Pokemon are contest worthy..." he muttered. "They can win ever ribbon in this region, if they put their minds to it! I know they can!"

Reaching into his bag, he released all three of his Pokemon at once, each with a fairly bland flash of light. He'd need to get some seals sometime...

"Alright guys." said Spencer, pacing back and forth before his Pokemon like a drill sergeant. "Today is our first contest! Today, we prove to the world that we can be an expert coordinating team!"

"Lup!" cried Celia, in approval.

"Today, we prove that we won't let anyone stand in the way of our dreams!"

"Mander!" said Vincent, pumping his claw in the air.

"Today..." Spencer felt his stomach rumble. "We get something to eat. I'm starving."

"Tree!" Nils jumped in the air in agreement, before noticing that they weren't talking about contests anymore. Embarrased, the Treecko quietly followed Spencer and the others to the counter, where Waker and his Pokemon were already sitting.

"This is really exciting, isn't it Waker?" said Spencer, as lifted his Pokemon to the counter to eat their French Toast. "Our first contest! Just imagine... this could be our fast track to the Grand Festival! We could get sponsored or something!"

Spencer took a bite of his french toast. "I wonder who else is competing today? Think we might have some tough competition?"

--------------------
+Quote Post

Ganymede
post Jul 8 2009, 06:38 PM
Post #7

beep boop
Group Icon

aw yeah

OOC (click to show)

Waker smiled as Verity plopped down next to him and allowed her to inspect his arm. It doesn't hurt, he wanted to tell her, but he settled for waving him arm around in small, tight circles. A nurse came in a second later, carrying a pink egg which she gently handed over to Verity. He leaned over and pressed his ear lightly to the egg when Verity held it out, eyes closed. He knew how Verity felt - he'd been so excited on the day Azzy's egg began to hatch that he tore through the house, looking for his parents. He'd tripped over a rug in the living room, sending the egg flying into the air and almost breaking his knee. The amused look his father's Gengar had given him while he was being scolded later was enough to shame him to never run in the house again.

Glancing down at his Pokemon, Waker let out a short, soundless laugh as Pora wrenched the last piece of toast from Azzy. Azzy, carried by his momentum, fell backwards onto the counter, legs hanging in the air awkwardly. Rolling his eyes, Waker scooped up the Poison Pin Pokemon and set him down carefully. That was not the coolest thing you've ever done, he thought. Pora hiccuped once and and attempted to lick the syrup and powdered sugar the had somehow gotten on her nose. Waker grabbed a napkin and began wiping it off. And that was definitely not smart.

Busy with the cleaning, Waker didn't notice Spencer sitting down next to him until Pora scooted away from him to sit next to Celia and Nils. Azzy gave Waker a quick glance before running down the counter to sit between Vincent and Butchette, looking as if he wanted to talk to the others. Waker's grin widened as he turned to Spencer.

"...really exciting, isn't it Waker?" The boy nodded eagerly, but anxiety had began creep up on him. This would be his second contest, and his first done with kids his age. The mock-contest a Coordinator had set up in the Kimono Hall in Ecruteak had been filled with plump middle-aged women, like his mother, and young girls barely old enough to move on from Dolls to actual Pokemon. He slowly tuned Spencer out as he thought about the upcoming competition, his stomach twisting nervously. We'll be fine, he assured himself. The worst that can happen is if we lose.

"Celia!" Pora skidded to a halt next to the Piplup as Azzy zoomed past them, heading for the other Pokemon. "Are you ready for the contest today?"
+Quote Post

Cube
post Jul 8 2009, 08:12 PM
Post #8

Factory Head
Group Icon

PANE Party

<"Of course I'm ready!"> said the Piplup, fluffing her feathers proudly. <"Daddy and I have been practicing for weeks!">

<"If by training, you mean nearly knocking me into the Magikarp pond with that stupid Bubble Attack..."> said Vincent, tearing off a piece of his toast.
<"It's your fault for standing in the way of my appeal!">
<"You could have put my flame out!">

The Pokemon continued to bicker while Nils stealthy took a few bits of French Toast off of their plates.

Meanwhile, Spencer was unconcerned. "I heard that in one contest, a Coordinator used a Zapdos. Can you believe that? Those things are like, crazy rare! There are apparently only twenty or so total! Then again, it could have been a Fearow in costume... I'm not really sure..."

Spencer was fairly confident in his Pokemon's abilities, despite his sister's claims. They held a few contests at Club Krabby in Gateon in the past, and Spencer felt that he had done pretty well. The prize money certainly helped pay for his travel fare.

Though... there was something odd about the whole situation. Spencer just couldn't put his finger on it...

He finished the last of his French Toast. "Okay, what time is it? I want to be at the Contest Hall by 9:30. I don't want to offend Mr Contesta or anything!"

--------------------
+Quote Post

Verity Lily
post Jul 9 2009, 03:28 AM
Post #9

Butterfree Farm
Group Icon

Heart Gold

Butchette reclaimed the egg from her trainer and marched over to sit next to Azzy. <<Stupid humans,>> she grumped. <<It's MY job to look after the girls, my mama and Verity's mama and Connie's mama all said so. I can take care of Courage and the egg, too. Nurse Joy is very nice, but what does she know about pokemon? Her partner is a NORMAL type. Weaklings, all of them. Like those stupid miltanks last night - they didn't want to be in the truck, but it didn't even occurr to them to try and break down the walls until I told them to rollout.>>

She surveyed the other pokemon suspiciously. <<Do your trainers really make you dress up? Isn't there any way to stop them?>>

Verity trailed after her, cheeks still burning. She did try to be a good trainer, she did... maybe she wasn't as strong as Mama yet, but she would learn. She was reading everything she could! And she'd avidly listened to Spencer's relatives on the video phone. It hadn't even occurred to her to check what Butchette and Courage preferred to eat - on Butterfree Farm, all meals were communal, and Butchette ate what Butch ate and Courage ate with the torchics and psyducks. Sheen? She resolved to discreetly check her pokemon's preferences as soon as possible, and Mary and Carmilla and Torchie as well, just in case Connie didn't think of it.

And what was wrong with their names? Constance and Verity were perfectly good virtue names, like all the other children on Butterfree Farm. Was it even possible to change her name? Maybe she should research it...

Connie, being Connie, had got them both breakfast and it was all nicely laid out for Verity already. Verity smiled and slipped into the seat beside her, giving her hand a squeeze to show that the egg was okay.

"We'd better eat up fast!" Verity said. "We don't want to make the boys late. Maybe... maybe we could enter, too. I know we won't win, we're not good at this like you boys, but Mary is really smart and cute, and Butchette is very tough! And Courage is very brave - is there a brave contest?"

She hesitated. "Is there - were we really invited? Only that man didn't seem to like girls much. Even amazons."

This post has been edited by Lindley: Jul 9 2009, 03:31 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

ROMANA
post Jul 9 2009, 04:58 AM
Post #10

Connie Plinth
Group Icon

Connie's Team

The pokemon all seemed to be talking nineteen to the dozen. Connie released her pokemon too and determined to make the most of breakfast. "Eat up," she said, scratching Mary's head. "We have a busy day ahead!"

"We'd better eat up fast! We don't want to make the boys late."

Connie nodded in agreement, her mouth full of French toast. She took a big gulp of milk and reached for a banana.

Maybe... maybe we could enter, too. I know we won't win, we're not good at this like you boys, but Mary is really smart and cute, and Butchette is very tough! And Courage is very brave - is there a brave contest?"

"I don't even know what Carmilla can do yet, I think she'd better watch today. But I'd like to try with the rest of you." She smiled at Mary, Torchie and Victoria. "You'll do your best for me, won't you?" They were all busy eating but she thought their chewing was affirmative.

"Is there - were we really invited? Only that man didn't seem to like girls much. Even amazons."

That hadn't even occurred to Connie. "Oh! There wasn't anything in the flyers in the room, I looked after you came to find Nurse Joy. Surely we'll be allowed to have a go, though? They can't just say 'no girls', after all, that would be silly! And we can watch Waker and Spencer and the others and learn all about contests. I want to find out what the different sorts of contests are like."

"Okay, what time is it? I want to be at the Contest Hall by 9:30. I don't want to offend Mr Contesta or anything!"

"We'd better get going! Come on, everyone," Connie returned her pokemon to their balls and stood up. "I'm so excited. I can't wait!" Connie headed for the pool of sunshine at the entrance to thye pokemon centre. It was promising to be a glorious day. She changed her mind about her long coat and stopped for a second to roll it up and attach it to her back pack. Her boots were scuffed and her dungarees were rumpled from yesterday but, as she got her backpack into position, her scruffiness was the last thing on her mind.

"Verity," she said as she headed out into the bright, warm sun, "shouldn't you put your hat on? I don't think the contest hall can be far but it's awfully bright out here."

--------------------
+Quote Post

Ganymede
post Jul 9 2009, 02:42 PM
Post #11

beep boop
Group Icon

aw yeah

Azzy started at Butchette and blinked. She seemed so...against everything contest-related. "Well," he started, "Dressing up isn't too bad, unless you're in a cute or beauty contest. See...I'm in cool contests, right? All I have to do is wear either a bandanna around my neck or a little band on one of my legs." He snuck at quick glance back at Waker, who was...staring off into space. Right. "Pora's in smart contests, so she has a little barrette and some glasses to make her look smarter. It all depends on what contest you're in." Azzy closed his eyes for a second before continuing. "Besides, we just want Waker to be happy. Him being a Master Coordinator is like being the Pokemon Master to other kids."

While the Pokemon were talking, Waker was busy going down a mental checklist, rooting through his bag at the same time. Okay...we've got Pora's barrette and Azzy's bandana... he pulled out a small green barrette and a red-orange bandanna, depositing them on the counter. Um, we have the stickers, right? he frowned and peered into his bag. He was sure he'd laid out all his contest stuff on his bed before he left; his mother had insisted on packing them herself...After almost a full minute of staring, he realised there were small, covered pockets on the inside lining of his bag. Feeling a little silly, he opened one and pulled out his sticker box. He placed it on the counter before opening the rest of the pockets, finding only a small reminder from his mother on how to make Poffins.

Content, he gently rapped the counter with his hand. Azzy and Pora zoomed down the counter to him, Azzy almost knocking Pora over when they came to a stop. Waker carefully put the accessories on them, moving them around a bit to make sure they looked alright from every angle. Smiling, he stood up and swept the sticker box back into his bag. I'll do the Pokeballs when we get there, he thought. He leaned over a bit so Azzy could jump on his shoulder and then picked up Pora and held her carefully.

He nodded at Spencer, ready to go. As he followed the girls out the door, he realised with a jolt what was missing - formal clothes. Oh no, he thought worriedly. I don't have enough Poke for a tuxedo, and it's too late to call my parents... He looked glumly at his current outfit. A plain light blue shirt. Dark blue, almost black, pants. Scuffed blue trainers. A bandage wrapped around his left forearm. He didn't even want to think about his hair - he never really paid attention to when he'd last cut it, and it was almost past his ears now. He shook his black bangs out of his face and vainly tried to brush them to the side. He walked out the door just a little glumly, Azzy valiantly trying to brush his hair into shape with his tiny claws. I'll just have to make do with what I have...
+Quote Post

Cube
post Jul 9 2009, 07:38 PM
Post #12

Factory Head
Group Icon

PANE Party

<"If you don't want to take part in a contest, then don't. No need to grumble about it."> Celia ruffled her feathers in annoyance. 'Fighting types are so stubborn...'.

"Alright everyone!" Said Spencer, following the others out of the Pokemon center. His Pokemon congregated around his ankle, Nils tugging on the bottom of his shirt like a toddler. "The Contest Hall is just down the street. We should be able to get there with time to spare."

After a quick glance over his shoulder to make sure his scooter was in the same condition he left it, he began the relatively short journey to the contest hall. His concerns about Shadow Pokemon and criminal organizations had long since faded, replaced instead with visions of ribbons (and possibly badges, if he played his cards right!). As far as Spencer concerned, nothing could go wrong that day!

"Get out of here! Doombringer!" the sounds of a struggle echoed from a nearby alleyway, as a strange white Pokemon landed in front of Spencer's feet.
"Finish it off Starly!"

"STAAAAAAAAAR" A Starly flew out of the alley at high speed, diving toward the helpless Pokemon, only collide headfirst into an Ember attack. Apparently Vincent felt like demonstrating again. Taking advantage of the sudden distraction, the white pokemon quickly made a getaway, with several children rushing out of the alley after it. Several of them stopped at the sight of Spencer and Waker.

"It's those guys from yesterday!" said one of them, accompanied by a Skitty. Spencer vaguely recognized her as one of the kids from yesterday. The Starly's trainer was there too, visibly upset about the ember attack's effect on his Starly.

"Why'd you do that!? Now Port Barley is doomed!" shouted one of the children, his peers voicing their agreement.

"Why'd you try to attack that Pokemon? It was already nearly fainted!"

"Because it was an Absol! Don't you know? Absol is the Disaster Pokemon!"

Spencer rolled his eyes. 'This really is somewhat of a backwards town...' Pulling out his PDA, he tapped a few entries on his screen before pulling up the Strategy Memo Entry for Absol. The PDA began to speak:

"Absol: The Disaster Pokemon.
A highly misunderstood Pokemon. Absol always appears before people prior to a disaster. As a result, it has been mislabeled as a doom-bringer. In reality, Absol are highly perceptive Pokemon with the ability to detect disaster with it's horn. Government relief agencies throughout the nation now employ Absol as Disaster Predictors.

Weak to: Fighting, Bug.
Resists: Ghost, Dark.
Immune to: Psychic."

"See?" said Spencer. "That Absol could have been predicting like, a tidal wave or something. But because you scared it away, now we could all be doomed!"

"Actually..." said a voice, from behind. "It belongs to me."

There was a low growl near Spencer's feet, as Celia and Nils restrained Vincent. Realizing what was going on, Spencer quickly recalled his Pokemon to prevent any incident.

"H-hello Mr. Refson!" he stuttered, suddenly feeling very nervous. He made a subtle gesture with Vincent's Pokemon to Waker, in an attempt to indicate that he recall Azzy before something happened.

"Thank you for helping to recover my pet, Mr. Thorn." said Uta, holding the injured Absol in his arms. "You wouldn't happen to have a potion, would you?"

"Oh! Here!" said Spencer, nervously pulling a small spray bottle from his bag.

"Thank you." said the man, with a glittering smile. "I'll be sure to use this when I am in private." He gave the school children a cold look, who promptly scattered in fear. This guy had an effect on people...

"I see you and Waker are preparing for the contest? And you brought friends..." Uta wrinkled his nose in distaste.

"Oh, yes." said Spencer, nodding to Connie and Verity. "Mr. Contesta said you could bring guests."

"That he did..." The gentleman's face took on a grim expression. "I would be careful though. I heard Contest Halls are major targets for the likes of Team Deception..."

"Team Deception?!" said Spencer, his face growing cold. 'The report last night... They wouldn't strike again so soon would they?'

"Yes... Those horrible criminals, with their shadow Pokemon. Apparently Contest Pokemon fetch a pretty penny in overseas. I'm sure you're well aware of that Mr. Thorn, being a breeder and all. If Pokemon Eggs can go for so much, imagine what a fully trained Pokemon goes for. It's absolutely horrible." Uta shook his head as he scratched the Absol's horn. "But I'm just being negative. I'm sure nothing will happen today." The man grinned, his perfectly aligned teeth glimmering in the sunlight. "I look forward to seeing your performances."

And with that, Mr. Refson continued on his way to the contest hall, the Absol glaring over his shoulder toward the group. Spencer shuddered.
"That guy gives off some freaky vibes sometimes..."

OOC (click to show)

--------------------
+Quote Post

Verity Lily
post Jul 10 2009, 07:26 AM
Post #13

Butterfree Farm
Group Icon

Heart Gold

OOC (click to show)

"Besides, we just want Waker to be happy. Him being a Master Coordinator is like being the Pokemon Master to other kids."

Butchette scowled. Azzy had hit her on a weak spot; she really would do anything for Verity, or Connie for that matter, although tolerating a flower crown on her ridges for more than five minutes had been a big ask. <<I guess a cool contest might not be too bad,>> she conceded. <<Especially if I got dark glasses. But I'd feel silly, and besides - I'm responsible for the egg now. >>

<"If you don't want to take part in a contest, then don't. No need to grumble about it."> Celia ruffled her feathers in annoyance. 'Fighting types are so stubborn...'.

<<That's because fighting types are strong and need to protect weak humans. I'm the offspring of Butch, the famous amazon's pokemon, after all. I can't go parading around when I have responsibilities. Maybe Courage can do it. She thinks she's cute.>>

The starly, who sitting on Verity's elbow and stealing the cereal out of her bowl, lifted a milk-splattered beak and smugly chirped <<Damn right.>>

Verity beamed at the pokemon. "They do seem to be making friends, don't they? It's almost like they can talk to each other. Come on, you two cute things."

They stepped out into the sunshine together, Butch carefully carrying the egg, Verity looking a little enviously at Azzy nestled on Waker's shoulder.

Verity, shouldn't you put your hat on? I don't think the contest hall can be far but it's awfully bright out here."

"Oh no, my hat!" Verity wailed. "I lost it when I fell - Mama's sure to ask if I got sunburned!" Inspiration struck her, looking at Azzy and Waker. "I know - Courage, can you sit on my head and spread your wings to keep me shaded?"

"Starly!" With great glee, the small bird pokemon fluttered onto Verity's fluffy pink head, and proudly spread her wings wide. Verity giggled with delight at the thought of having a pokemon hat. Butchette was too disgusted to do more than roll her eyes.

Verity's delight was cut into by the sight of a group of children - somehow, amazon or not, her stomach twisted with nervousness at the thought of running into Barley schoolchildren again. Her nervousness became concern when she realised they were bullying a pokemon, but events moved too fast for her.

<<Not bad at all,>> Butchette conceded to Vincent once he'd dealt with the starly. <<Flying pokemon can be tricky.>> Courage chirped agreement from her roost, even though her little talons were beginning to become inextricably tangled in Verity's hair. <<Don't like that dark pokemon, though - but I'm not scared of any dark types.>>

--------------------

+Quote Post

ROMANA
post Jul 10 2009, 08:40 AM
Post #14

Connie Plinth
Group Icon

Connie's Team

A white pokemon came tearing out of an alleyway and nearly tripped Spencer up. Connie was surprised to realise it was an Absol - she'd never seen a real one before. There had been one in the picture book she'd read with her Mum when she had been little. There was a story about a white pokemon that was seen on the cliff every time there was a storm and would cry when a ship was wrecked on the rocks below. Connie had thought the picture of the Absol on the dark cliffs, crying for the ship on the rocks, with a background of murky storm clouds and rain, was the saddest and most beautiful thing she'd ever seen.

The Absol was being chased by a Starly that, it turned out, was owned by the boy who'd been mean to Verity yesterday. Spencer's Vincent saw the Starly off in a hurry and rescued the Absol. There was obviously something to be said for letting your pokemon out of their pokeballs - they were right there when you needed them. Surreptitiously, Connie slipped her pokeballs from her pocket and released Mary and Torchie. It made Connie feel more confident - they'd followed her around on the farm ever since they'd hatched. It felt more like home. Torchie hopped up to his normal spot on Mary's back, with a happy "Tor!"

Connie stepped between Verity and the Barley children. She was pleased that the Absol wasn't actually a bringer of doom, she thought it was rather pretty. Far too pretty, in fact, to belong to the horrible Mr Refson, with his sparkly smile that just didn't look right, somehow. Connie flushed at his expression when he saw her and Verity. They would show him! They would go all around Furoh and become brilliant at contests and then, when they came home again, they'd win all of his practice contests. They might even be brilliant already - after all, they didn't know how they'd do - they'd never tried!

"That guy gives off some freaky vibes sometimes..." said Spencer, as the little group set off again, following Mr Refson in the direction of the contest hall.

"Yes," agreed Connie. "At least he likes you and Waker. I wonder why he hates girls so much? Do you think it's true about Team Deception, that they target contest halls? I saw something about them on the news. They were after rare pokemon, I think. Mr Refson said he likes rare pokemon, too, and he's got an Absol! Maybe he's worried that Team Deception will try and steal it!"

--------------------
+Quote Post

Verity Lily
post Jul 10 2009, 10:44 AM
Post #15

Butterfree Farm
Group Icon

Heart Gold

"It would be awful if Mr Retson's pokemon was stolen," Verity said, generously deciding to forgive Mr Retson for not understanding about girls. After all, he was letting them go to the contest hall - and anyone who was on the bad side of the Barley bullies was automatically a friend. Look at Waker and Spencer!

"I'm not sure about ours being in danger, though," she added uncertainly. "They're certainly very special pokemon, and Mary is very good at carrying Torchie, but I know they're not all that rare, really - even Victoria. There's lots of torchics at home on the farm. And Azzy and Pora are so cute and clever, but I think a lot of poison pokemon survive in the polluted areas, so maybe they're not that rare either. I think maybe the problem is-"

She opened her jigglypuff backpack with some difficulty as she walked, nearly seriously discommoding Courage, who gave a petulant squawk and flapped her wings to rgain balance before settling back into her face-shading wings-spread pokemon hat position. Puling out her pokedex, she pointed it at the charmander, treeko and piplup in turn.

"Oh dear," she said, her face shadowing. "I think maybe we should keep an eye on them. Just in case." She felt a little scared, but after all, the four of them had successfully faced down bullies together - and maybe protecting her friends' pokemon would turn out to be her very first job as an amazon!

She cast sidelong looks at Connie and Butchette, and at the boys. They were all very brave, an she wanted very much to cling to Connie and be reassured that Team Deception wouldn't come anywhere near them - but maybe she should try to be brave, too. She didn't want Nurse Joy to think that she couldn't be responsible all by herself, and protect her friends and pokemon.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Ganymede
post Jul 10 2009, 11:25 AM
Post #16

beep boop
Group Icon

aw yeah

Waker was having a mental conflict - Should I wear my bandanna? No, that'd be a little weird. But I don't think I look formal enough, maybe it'll help? - when Pora let out a worried sound. Waker looked up just in time to see an injured Pokemon land in front of Spencer, a Starly zooming in at it. Before he could move, Vincent blasted the bird with a stream of fire. A group of familiar kids rushed out of the alleyway, glaring at Spencer.

"Why'd you do that!? Now Port Barley is doomed!" One of the kids - he was slightly taller than the rest, with a bandaid on his cheek - demanded. The children behind him voiced their agreement, and Waker vaguely wondered if Spencer had done something wrong. No, that's not right, he thought. There's no way Spencer would do anything bad. Waker listened to Spencer's PDA with interest, briefly remembering the old-model Pokedex deep in his bag. He felt just a little guilty for not using it, but his father had said it only recorded the Pokemon that lived in Kanto and Johto - it had been made long before the six regions had started exchanging information.

Waker was startled out of his reverie by an all-too familiar voice behind him. Without even a glance behind him, Waker tapped the release on Azzy's Pokeball, the Pokemon disappearing with an agitated cry. Pora shrunk back against Waker's body, making a small noise in the back of her throat. He hugged her tightly and turned around.

Mr Refson was there; his cold, glittering smile in place, the Absol safely in his arms. Waker felt a small twinge of anxiety at the Pokémon's glare. He slowly inched in front of the girls as Spencer and the man spoke - he really didn't like how he acted around them. They're perfectly nice! If he would just take the time and talk to them... Waker shuddered. He realised that he did not like this man and did not want to be around him anymore. He swallowed and bit his lip. Remember the contest, Waker. We can win this!

He watched as the glittery man left, the Absol still glaring back at them. Azzy's Pokeball rocked angrily against Waker's chest, and decided to wait until they'd gotten to the Hall to let him out again. Pora had turned in Waker's arms and had buried her head in Waker's shirt, her small horn poking him in the ribs. He gently tugged at her as he began walking again, re-arranging the barrette she wore. C'mon girl, stop being so nervous, he scratched her head soothingly and Pora turned around again, a glum expression on her face. You were so excited about it this morning.

The boy looked up and noticed that they had arrived at the Hall. The same group of people that had been mulling there yesterday were now pressed up against the doors, their Skitties and Meowths winding around their legs. Most of the cat-like Pokemon were adorned with bows and ribbons. Did Mr Refson invite them, too?

"Hey!" One of the girls shouted, noticing the group for the first time. Her Meowth was cradled in her arms, completely covered in pink ribbons. Pora winced. "Do you know why they won't let anyone in? We know there's an invitation-only contest here soon, but we want to watch!" Her words were followed by a chorus of "Yeah!"s and "That's right!"s, the cat Pokemon adding to the noise. Waker shook his head and reached into his pocket, where he'd shoved the invitation after reading it - the paper was crumpled now, but still looked fancy.

The girls began squealing and rushed over to the group, murmuring about how lucky they were. "Oh, that Starly is so cute!" "Oh wow, is that a Piplup? I've never seen one up close before!" "You girls are from that farm out in the country, right? Those Miltanks are scary!" Surrounded, Waker nervously glanced at Spencer before inching through the crowd, tugging at the Hall doors. To his surprise they opened. Blinking, he turned and motioned Spencer and the girls inside. Pora crawled up his shirt and rested on his shoulder, looking inside uneasily.

This post has been edited by Nezzie: Jul 10 2009, 11:25 AM
+Quote Post

Cube
post Jul 10 2009, 03:46 PM
Post #17

Factory Head
Group Icon

PANE Party

Upon closer inspection, it became apparent to Spencer that the Contest Hall was not a dedicated facility at all, but rather a heavily renovated warehouse. Despite this fact, the practice hall was nothing less than magnificent... the ribbon like symbol of the Coordination League displayed prominently over the entrance.

A group of young girls accompanied by Meowths, Glameows, and Skittys pressed up against the doors, begging to be let inside. Several of them began cooing over the group's Pokemon. Spencer picked Celia off the ground, while Nils tightened his grip on Spencer's T-Shirt.

Spencer breathed a sigh of relief when they were finally inside the contest hall, the doors shut firmly behind them. Before them sat a short looking man at a small table, going over a list of names. Peering over the rims of his reading glasses, he sized up the group and their Pokemon, before looking back down at the lists.

"Names."

"...Pardon?" asked Spencer.

"Your names." sniveled the man. "This is an invitation only contest. Mr. Refson has recommended a select group of trainers to Mr. Contesta. Only those individuals and their guests are permitted."

"Oh. Um... I'm Spencer Thorn. This is my friend Waker... Faland, I think. and these are our guests, Constance and Verity. We were invited by Mr. Refson."

Adjusting his readers, the man browsed the very short list presented before him. His eyes darted between the list and the group of trainers before finally relenting.

"Very well. Please wait in the Green Room. Accommodations have already been made. Also..." The man glared at the groups somewhat disheveled appearance. "You're lucky this is only a practice contest. In a real contest, I'd hope that you would wear something a bit more... tasteful."

Suddenly feeling very uncomfortable, Spencer was glad to be able to leave the man at the table behind. Following a few signs posted on the floor, the group eventually arrived at their destination.

The Green Room -in fact, the whole lobby-, was actually a smaller, internal structure of the contest hall proper. The Green Room - which wasn't actually green, but rather more of a beige color - was filled with various goodies. A small platter filled with Luxury Balls sat on the center table, next to a small sign identifying them as a gift from the Devon Corporation.
Several platters of Poffins and Pokeblocks were arranged around the room, each with a note indicating their flavor and texture. Nils naturally grabbed an armful of the Sweet ones as soon as he saw them.

A bouquets of Gracidea flowers arranged to look like sleeping Shaymin filled the room with a relaxing aroma. But what really caught Spencer's eye was a small table filled with various gadgets. Anything that had ever begun with the word "Poke" seemed to be in that room at the moment.

"Waker! Check this out!" said Spencer, as he eyed the various pieces of Swag on the table. He picked up a slim looking Touch Screen device. "Is this the new PokeDex? Oh! Are those PokeEtchs?" Setting the Pokedex back down, Spencer grabbed a black watch from the table and affixed it to his wrist. "I've always wanted one of these, but you can't get them in Orre! What are all of these things doing in here?"

"Ah, you must be the people Mr. Refson invited." said a grey haired man in a blue tuxedo. "It's a pleasure to meet you all. I'm Mr. Contesta, chairman of the Pokemon Coordination League. Let me guess, you're Waker and Spencer, correct? Are these lovely young ladies here your friends?"

"Yes!" said Spencer, in a tone that was far too loud for the situation. "This is Constance and Verity. They're interested in coordinating as well."

"Ah..." said Mr. Contesta, warmly smiling at the girls. "Well, I'm sure you two will make fine coordinators some day."

"Mr. Contesta..." said Spencer, gesturing to the various goodies around the room. "Whats all of this stuff for?"

"Oh, that was Mr. Refson's idea. These are gifts from potential sponsors. They'd like you to become familiar with their products now, in case you'd like to accept them as sponsors later. I personally don't agree with the practice..." Mr. Contesta's voice trailed off. "But then again, Mr. Refson is a master of PR I suppose. If he says this will help the league, I can't help but go along with it." Mr. Contesta gestured to the various tables around the room. "In any case, feel free to take whatever you like. Just be sure to save some for the other contestants when they arrive."

"Um... Okay. Thanks..." said Spencer sitting down on a nearby couch and meekly taking a Luxury Ball from the platter. 'I feel like I'm being sold a timeshare or something...'
"Um... is it okay if our guests take some things too? I already have a PDA, so I don't really need a lot of this stuff..."

"Well, I suppose it's all right. Just don't tell Mr. Refson where you got it." said Mr Contesta.

OOC (click to show)

--------------------
+Quote Post

ROMANA
post Jul 12 2009, 07:06 AM
Post #18

Connie Plinth
Group Icon

Connie's Team

Connie couldn't help but notice that the crowd of trainers clamouring to be allowed through the doors of the... now that she looked, through the doors of the ugly warehouse with some banners that looked rather hastily painted in Verity's opinion (Emerance would have insisted they be redone), were all girls. They had very cute pokemon, mostly kitten and cat-ike normal types but they were all very similar. None of them stood out like Waker and Spencer's pokemon, or were nearly as impressive as Mr. Refson's sad Absol. She was at once both intimidated and proud that she and Verity were ushered through the throng, even if it was only as the guests of the boys - they were in!

The man at the desk sneered at the way they were looking and Connie frowned. This was her very favourite outfit! Yes, she had slept in it and it was possibly slightly less crumpled on it's better occasions but she loved it. With her nose in the air at the man's implication that her dungarees could possibly be in less than perfect taste, Connie followed the boys to the green room. Where she encountered pokériches beyond her wildest dreams! There were Pokédexes and Pokétches and... and... a million and one other things that Connie couldn't even identify. Spencer introduced them all to Mr Contesta as Connie nudged Verity and indicated the Luxury Balls.

"Ah... Well, I'm sure you two will make fine coordinators some day." said Mr Contesta, and he smiled at the pair of them.

Finally! A grownup who could see that girls could do contests too! After all, when Spencer had shown them the competition on the tv, there had been girls competing and you had to start somewhere!

"Thank you, Mr Contesta, um... sir," said Connie, shyly. "We'd like to have a go, anyway, if we may."

"Um... is it okay if our guests take some things too? I already have a PDA, so I don't really need a lot of this stuff..." asked Spencer. Connie shot him a thankful grin for saving her the embarrassment of asking for herself.

"Well, I suppose it's all right. Just don't tell Mr. Refson where you got it." said Mr Contesta.

"Oh, thank you, we won't we promise!" Connie looked at the incredible collection and picked out a Pokédex (it would be useful to not have to raid Verity's bag every time she saw a pokémon) and she picked up a pokétch and examined it. She pressed a button on the side and watched the display change. It seemed to have lots of functions. Well, she was sure she'd figure it out eventually. It was bound to come in handy, anyway, since she never had a clue what the time was.

There were also various collections of sweets and muffin-y things. Nils had rushed straight in and grabbed some pink ones. Mary was sniffing at a blue sweet and Torchie had already stolen a bite out of a red muffin with yellow specks. The red and yellow ones were apparently spicy-sour poffins and the blue sweets were dry pokeblocks.

"Don't leave it on the plate once you've chewed it!" Connie told Torchie, sternly. "That's rude, and don't make a mess with it, either, you've to be on your best behaviour today." Mary extended her tongue and delicately licked every blue pokeblock on the plate, slowly and deliberately. Connie blushed and looked to see if Mr Contesta had noticed. What should she do? "Mary," she hissed under her breath, "that was very, very naughty."

"Mrrrreeeeep?" said Mary. Wincing, Connie picked out the lickiest pokéblock and wrapped it in a tissue.

"You can have it later. If you're...." she paused.

"Mrrreeeep." said Mary.

"Yes, that's right, if you're good. Now, behave yourself."

Turning back to Torchie she nearly died of embarrassment at the crumb explosion that had apparently happened on the Spicy Poffins plate. Thankfully, most of the poffins appeared to be intact and it seemed that Torchie had only eaten one, although most of that one seemed to be spread across the table.

"You two are monsters!" she exclaimed. "Go and stand in the corner until you're ready to behave yourselves."

Unrepentantly, Torchie hopped onto Mary's back and the pair of them went off to sit in the corner and doze contentedly until something else interesting happened. A mortified Connie was sweeping up crumbs as another trainer swept into the room, taking it all in in one superior glance.

"Charley Drake," he announced in the direction of Mr Contesta. Connie tried to hide the mess as she looked at the new arrival. The boy didn't look much older than her. He was dressed in a very clean, very well-pressed and expensive looking white suit. He had purple hair that swept across his brow in a perfectly coiffed, shiny fringe that partly obscured one eye. The pokemon following him was haughty looking, all dark blue and gold, with two orange-golden rings around its front legs. Connie pointed her new pokedex at it.

"Luxio," it entoned. "the Spark Pokémon. By touching friends with its front paws, Luxio is able to communicate through the sparks it emits. This specimen is shiny.

The boy seemed amused at her having to check her pokedex and glanced at the display of offerings to the contestants with a bored expression. "Pity they haven't supplied a wardrobe or a trouser press, it seems," he said with a sneer. He took a seat and yawned. "It doesn't look like there's going to be much competition, eh, Lord Sparkster?"

"Lux!" agreed the shiny pokemon, sparks crackling from its claws. It took a seat next to its trainer's chair and began to ostentatiously preen.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Verity Lily
post Jul 12 2009, 07:45 AM
Post #19

Butterfree Farm
Group Icon

Heart Gold

Verity was favourably impressed by all the cat pokemon. They were so cute... Maybe, just maybe, her egg would turn out be one too! She thought normal pokemon were really cute and pretty... except miltanks. She secretly agreed with the girls about miltanks. But she was very pleased that they seemed much friendlier than she'd come to fear from Barley schoolchildren. She smiled at them and stopped to stroke a skitty's soft fur.

Verity was a little overwhelmed by the green room. The flowery Shaymin was the most beautiful thing she'd ever seen. Her eyes grew wide at the sight of all the bounty... and she was allowed to take some! Somehow, however, she felt really uncomfortable at the thought. All she could picture was her mother's face if she saw her taking "incentives" from wealthy men - somehow, she didn't think Bill would approve. Still, it was so kind of Spencer to think of including them, and she didn't want to be rude to Mr Contesta or make Connie feel embarrassed for taking things.

She chose a luxury ball and slipped it into her jigglypuff backpack. "Maybe this will help the baby decide to come out, if it knows it has a nice new home" she said. "I'm a little worried - Butchette was in her egg for ages but when she came out, the shell all flaked off at once, as if she couldn't wait to come out and look after me. I don't think the baby can be a machop. Maybe it's shy." She gently stroked the egg, which had developed another crack extending from the first.

She brightened a little when she saw... books! She seized on a guide to contest strategy and pokemon breeding. Mama wouldn't mind that, it was like... research.

"Thank you, Mr Contesta, um... sir," said Connie, shyly. "We'd like to have a go, anyway, if we may."

Verity shot her friend a worried look. It really hadn't occurred to her until then that if both she and Connie competed, they would be competing against each other. And the boys, who had been so kind to them! She thought hard as she took the egg from Butchette and went to find a seat. She'd been prepared for gym battles, of course, and both she and Connie would face gym leaders, but they would take turns - competing directly against her best friend was a terrible idea. What if Verity won, and Connie was sad? She was so proud of her pokemon - well, all right, she didn't exactly seem very proud of them right now, not when she was making them stand in the corner, but usually. Maybe... Verity wondered how to tell the boys that she didn't want to compete after all. She'd be much happier cheering Connie on and learning everything she could.

Charley's entrance further shook her determination to take part. He was so... elegant. And there was Verity in the clothes she'd slept in, with the glitter and applique coming off, and a bird pokemon on her head.

Courage was unphased. <<Hello, I'm Courage. This is Verity, my trainer, and I'm her hat!>> she announced proudly to the Luxio.

Butchette buried her head in her hands, forgetting all about the red pokeblocks she'd be investigating, and the Luxio collapsed in sniggers, sparks flying from its claws. Courage, fortunately, was far too proud of being such a very useful pokemon to register anything but the Luxio's obvious deep admiration for such a versatile starly.

The remarks about the trouser press really got to Verity. She wandered over to where a large, ornate gilt-framed mirror was strategically positioned to reflect the details of the floral sculpture. Her clothes looked even worse than she'd imagined, and her hair... Well, Verity's hair was generally messy, but Courage had managed to make a literal bird's nest of it.

She remembered her best dress in her jigglypuff backpack, and very carefully set the egg down on the floor and sat beside it, rifling through. There.... she pulled out a mass of creases, stained green and yellow and orange by the flowers she'd inadvertantly stuffed in with the egg.

"Oh," she said dismally. "Maybe my jeans aren't too bad after all. Come on, Courage, time to come down and try the sweeties." Courage fluttered her wings, attempted to launch off from Verity's head, and flopped forward when her talons failed to part from her tangled hair. "Ow... ow! You're hurting!" Verity tried to wrestle the bird from her scalp without hurting her or knocking over her precious egg.

The door swung open again, and she looked up to find that their little group weren't the only jeans-heavy trainers around. The man who came in was very heavy-set - well, Verity wasn't in a position to judge, she'd often had stern remarks about the amout of butter she used on her cakes and she knew the words "puppy fat" were bandied around in her direction - and scruffy looking. He wore a white shirt, but it was miles away from Charley's immaculate whiteness. Pokeballs hung from his belt, and a denim waistcoat entirely failed to contain his bulk. By his side were two of the strangest pokemon Verity had ever seen. A tough-looking white pokemon swaggered along on two feet like Butchette, with scary looking long black claws dangling by its side, and streaks of bright red in its fur that, at first sight, Verity took for streaks of blood and gore from a violent fight. A black and yellow snake with terrifyingly long red fangs undulated after it.

"That is a very badly trained starly," Charley remarked, glaring disdainfully at Courage. "Maybe it should go stand in the corner with the others."

"It's not her fault!" Verity snapped, dislodging a talon at last. "She was just helping!"

"Common, too," the newcomer agreed. "I have to admit I was expecting something more like, well... That's a very impressive Luxio right there. Unusual colouring. And these gentlemen..." He took in Spencer and Waker's pokemon approvingly. "Now, they're worth collecting." He extended a hand to Waker.

Verity's eyes filled with tears on Lord Sparkster's behalf. "He can't help being the wrong colour! It's very rude to point that out!"

--------------------

+Quote Post

Ganymede
post Jul 12 2009, 11:26 AM
Post #20

beep boop
Group Icon

aw yeah

Waker looked around the Green room in awe. Sure, it was just a heavily remodeled warehouse, but it was still real, not just a mock-up done hastily in an anceint dance hall. Pora "Ni!"-ing excitedly in his arms, Waker made a beeline for the Poffin and Pokeblocks, curious to see how they were made in Furoh. He leaned over a plate of bitter green Poffins, Pora sniffing them delicately. With a murmur of approval, she squirmed out of Waker's arms and began nibbling at one, eyes closed in delight. Smiling widely, Waker released Azzy, who appeared next to a tray of orange Pokeblocks, a blend of spicy and sour. He picked one up, inspected it, and tucked it under one of his arms before picking up another.

Resisting the urge to laugh, Waker drifted over to Spencer and Connie at the Poketechnology table, looking over the merchandise with interest. It wouldn't hurt to get a new Pokedex, he thought, pulling one off of the stack. He placed it carefully in his bag before poking one of the Poketchs, almost jumping back in surprise when the display changed. He cautiously poked it again and watched as it changed to a blank screen with two figures on it: a male and female Nidoran. Both figures had two large hearts floating above their heads. Waker strapped it to his wrist, not realising it was upside down.

He was examining a Luxury ball - Oh no, I only packed one Pokeball, didn't I? Will they mind if I take this? - when the door opened and a very rich-looking boy swept in. "Charley Drake," he announced, sneering as he glanced at the other competitors. There was a strange blue-and-gold lion-like Pokemon behind it, identified as a shiny Luxio by Connie's new Pokedex. Waker frowned a little at the rich boy's comments - the girls looked great until you walked in, he thought. He felt a sudden weight tugging on his pants and bent down to let Azzy on his shoulders, picking up Pora as he stood up. Azzy sat regally, his nose pointed in the air, looking at the Luxio distastefully. Pora had begun to groom herself, adjusting her barrette ever-so-slightly and refusing to look at the newcomers. Waker laughed a little at his Pokémon's sudden snobbishness - they certainly knew how to act.

The door opened again and Waker gasped as the heavyset man walked in. The man had a Zangoose by his side, its red eyes glaring at the other Pokemon, but it wasn't the Zangoose that had startled Waker - it was the Pokemon behind it. The Seviper viewed the room disinterestedly, its long forked tongue flicking out from between its deep red fangs. Waker's eyes lit up - Seviper were incredibly hard to find if you didn't live in Hoenn, and were rarely imported because of their violent tendencies and the deadly poison in their fangs and tail. Waker was so busy admiring it that he barely noticed when its heavyset trainer held out his hand to him, smirking. Dumbfounded, Waker quickly balanced Pora on one arm, making sure she was covering the bandages, before quickly shaking the man's hand. He then stepped back quickly, still looking longingly at the Seviper.

The door to the room opened one final time. A young girl slipped in, clad in a white sundress with lacy pink edges. A matching hat sat on top of her deep blue hair, hiding most of her face in shadow. A pink, cat-like Pokemon with a red jewel on its head and a forked tail was in her arms, surveying the room nervously. Waker could faintly hear Uta's voice from behind the door just before it closed.

"...H-hello," the girl said, pushing back the brim of her hat. The Espeon in her arms squirmed a little. "My name is Elysia Ulright. I, um...I received an invitation here?" Mr Contesta nodded at her before clapping his hands together.

"Alright! I'll go have a brief chat with Mr Refson to see if their will be any more contestants, and then we can get this started!" With that, he crossed the room and pushed through the door, leaving the trainers by themselves. Waker edged slowly backwards until he was standing next to Spencer again, his Pokemon pressed close to his body. Elysia glanced around the room, her eyes lighting up as she landed on the corner where Torchie and Mary sat.

"Oh, oh my! Is that a Mareep?" She smiled shyly at Connie, her Espeon's head tilted slightly to the side.

This post has been edited by Nezzie: Jul 12 2009, 11:27 AM
+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:27 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.