Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

READ ME FIRST

DO NOT make any 'click my eggs/Pokémon' threads/posts or any 'what is this egg' threads/posts or you WILL be warned 10% instantly!

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
What's in a Pokémon name?, Tell us the story.
PokeNOM NOM NOM
post Aug 27 2011, 11:38 AM
Post #1

Spriter / Writer
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 99 214

Active Squad

I know there are plenty of people on GPX+ that pay a lot of attention to the names of their GPX+ Pokémon.
I usually enjoy looking at the names people have given to their Pokémon as I click them,
and backstories included in their description are usually good as well.

Is there something you'd like to share, an interesting story behind a name?
Or maybe a clever/funny/original name you'd like to share?

Examples could be:

--> I named my Horsea 'Ver'. It's Latin for 'Spring'.
I obtained his egg on the first day of spring.

--> I named my Eevee 'Eve', because she was the first Eevee I hatched (in a series of 8),
and like Eve and Adam were the first, so is this Eve.
Plus, the similarities between the name and the kind of Pokémon are striking.

I'm looking forward to your stories.

This post has been edited by PokeNOM NOM NOM: Oct 5 2011, 11:39 AM

--------------------

Check out my GPX+ profile
to find out what I've contributed so far!

'Counterbalanced'
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Giraffe A Laugh
post Aug 27 2011, 11:43 AM
Post #2

That one laughing Giraffe
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 66 646

Active Squad

Mine would need to be my ditto, named Torkoal xp

the description pretty much says it all

Kristina says:
*you got a ditto
*because you were trying for torkoal
*brain explodes
Kels says:
*i honestly don't know why since I KNOW the description is not even similar
Kristina says:
*tiny brain pieces fly everywhere in confusion
Kels says:
*ew noes.gif
Jen says:
*lol kristina
Kristina says:
*dear professor, i'm sorry i couldn't finish my paper or presentation
Adam says:
*lol
Kristina says:
*but my friend got a ditto while trying for torkoal
Kels says:
*rofl
Kristina says:
*and it just blew my mind
*love, kristina
**brb looking for torkoal too now
*lol

--------------------
+Quote Post

Judool
post Aug 27 2011, 11:48 AM
Post #3

yooooooooooooo
Group Icon

Member No.: 30 429

I named a shiny Steelix I picked up from the safari zone "Golden Terror" because it's color is gold, and I felt terrified at first because I thought someone accidentally dropped it and then I thought that they would PM me and be all "omg u stole my steelix wtf is wrong with u omg im going 2 kill u" And because I was so freaked out that I actually got it too. xD

And then my shiny Swampert. I named him "Purple Agony". Purple is the color, and I felt agony throught out that whole shine race (Yes, it was a race. xD) and it took almost 700 eggs to get. xD

--------------------

3DS FC: 4682-9068-5409 (be sure to send me a PM with your code too!!)
Nintendo ID: Stinko
tumblr
+Quote Post

PokeNOM NOM NOM
post Aug 27 2011, 11:51 AM
Post #4

Spriter / Writer
Group Icon

Active Squad

Those are good stories. o.o
Thanks for sharing, guys.

Some of my names aren't so impressive.
I sometimes let my younger sister choose what shiny I'll hunt,
and she insist to have influence on the shiny's name if I find it,
because I wouldn't have hunted it without her. x3

So now I have a Cradily named... Jimmie.
EDIT: Jimmie is by all means a good name, but I wouldn't have chosen it for a Cradily myself. x3

This post has been edited by PokeNOM NOM NOM: Aug 27 2011, 11:53 AM

--------------------

'Counterbalanced'
+Quote Post

Megatron
post Aug 27 2011, 12:09 PM
Post #5

I am Nohrbat
Group Icon

Member No.: 22 018

Transformer-mons

I nickname nearly everything but sometimes don't give them a description because I'm lazy that way.

My naming schemes vary - I might like a random name, want one with meaning behind it, or just be witty. For example; I named my Deoxys Andromeda because I liked it a lot (and it suits Deoxys lol); Amaterasu, my Ho-Oh, named after a Japanese sun goddess; and Bubbles the Groudon for the lulz.

My party mascots were named after their Pearl version counterparts and I'll never change that ;3 Funnily enough, it was Giratina who I named first after seeing the first movie and comparing him to Megatron x)

Oh and descriptions are just my random brain farts. Nothing remotely serious to any of em ~

This post has been edited by Megatron: Aug 27 2011, 12:13 PM

--------------------

General Awesome (click to show)

Credits & Misc. (click to show)
+Quote Post

Swizzle
post Aug 27 2011, 12:22 PM
Post #6

Wartortle Tamer
Group Icon

Member No.: 23 793

The Crew

Man, when I FIRST joined GPX, I used to nickname and give every single Pokemon mini backstories/descriptions. I still name all of the ones I get (with the exception of ones I use only for exploration purposes) but now with somewhere around 600 Pokemon, it is too time consuming to describe them all. ;; I /do/ continue to give my shiny Pokemon backstory info, however.

A lot of my shiny Pokemon are named after physical traits (such as Tungsten, my shiny Charizard, named after a metal that resembles his color) and some are named after characters from video games, books, etc (Yossarian [Catch-22], Aurica [AR Tonelico], Koishi Komeiji [Touhou], Malchut [Epic of Zektbach]). I did something a bit different with Colon, the shiny Gulpin. His name is kind of a play on words because it /looks/ like "colon", as in, related to food, but I think it would be pronounced "colin" like a name, so he gets a lot of tease for the spelling of his name. : P

Kai, my "main" Pokemon I nearly always have in my party, is a Wartortle and his name is Japanese for "shell". I study Japanese so when I discovered the kanji of this word, I noticed it kinda looked like a shell and the lines coming off it remind me of Wartortle's tail. I have a Wartortle collection and some of them have grouped names. For instance, a group is named after months of the year, the entire Greek alphabet, the planets in the solar system, etc. My special ones (Kai (1st Pokemon), Klaus (shiny), Killer (1st clone), and to-be shiny clone, all have/will have names starting with "K").

A portion of my Pokemon, most steel-types, are named after Megaman robot masters. I kinda try to dress them up like who they are named after.

Metalman
Heatman

--------------------

~Kai avatar by PurpleKecleon~

squid comin through get out the way くコ:彡 =3

AWESUM trainer portrait by Kady!
+Quote Post

Irregular Hunter...
post Aug 27 2011, 07:22 PM
Post #7

DWN-∞
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 70 785

DARKMATTER

I moslty name my Pokemon after MegaMan character and One Piece Character. I'm so creative lol
But I have some Pokemon here and there that I named after something BESIDES character from anime/games. I'm going to list the one that are not named after a character for something, except for Guile and Taskmaster:

Huge list ahead (click to show)

Maybe one day, when I'm not being a lazy butt, I'll name my Pokeymanz with some "original" names and give them descriptions.

This post has been edited by Irregular Hunter Zero: Aug 27 2011, 07:23 PM
+Quote Post

silurica
post Aug 27 2011, 09:31 PM
Post #8

Now let the revenge tragedy begin...
Group Icon

Member No.: 3 719

Active Squad

Nickname, huh? I tend to give my pokemon nickname if they have special meaning for me or I simply like them.
Some have special meaning (shiny, legend/novelty, etc), based on certain person/character, or just completely random (or some combination of those).

Some examples, Historia the Past Mismagius, Ahora the Present Drifblim, and Futura the Future Banette have a them for their name matching their species name for obvious reason.
Alan the Arcanine and Matt Ireant the Giratina get their name from my OCs (the name Alan itself is completely random, but Matt's name is an anagram of word 'antimatter')
Pepero the Shiny Rotom and Mr. M the MissingNo. are pretty random, but I like them. (Mr. M even create a pattern in my MissingNo. names)

Anyway, this is my current favorite :P

This post has been edited by Kismis: Aug 27 2011, 09:32 PM

--------------------

the Well[Id] that leads to the Forest[Mori] that leads to the Well[Id]

"The seventh graveyard... The beginning of revenge tragedy."

deviantARTtumblrTwitter
+Quote Post

Running On Ice
post Aug 27 2011, 11:08 PM
Post #9

There’s a lot of tension in this town
Group Icon

Member No.: 17 626

Active Squad

Many of the Pokemon, especially my shinies, are named for random pop culture-related things.

A few of them include:

Dorian Red (Sh. Cherrim): Named after the main character from "From Eroica with Love".
Trini (Sh. Lucario): The Yellow Ranger from "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers".
Crush (Sh. Blastoise): One of the turtles from "Finding Nemo". Of course Tirtouga looks more like Crush but I got it before B/W
Phoebe Buffay (Sh. Wigglytuff): A "Friends" character
Mystery (Sh. Kingdra): the seahorse from "Spongebob"
Ferris Bueller (Sh. Nidoking), Sloane Peterson (Sh. Nidoqueen), and Jeanie Bueller (Sh. Sceptile): characters from "Ferris Bueller's Day Off".
Rhett Butler (Sh. Drapion): from "Gone With the Wind"
Pumbaa (Sh. Emboar): from "The Lion King"
Glen Coco (Sh. Quagsire) and Damien (Sh. Furret): from "Mean Girls"
Johnny Castle (Sh. Gallade) and Baby (Sh. Gardevoir): from "Dirty Dancing"

and I have tons of others!

--------------------
FRIEND CODE: 4527-8945-5766; NAME: Laura
FRIEND SAFARI: NORMAL; PM me so we can trade codes

Clubs and Shinies (click to show)

"Don't take advice from people like me. Do your own thing always"- Chrissie Hynde, from ironically a thing titled "Chrissie Hynde's Advice To Chick Rockers"
+Quote Post

sneakysquid
post Aug 27 2011, 11:45 PM
Post #10

Pokemon Professor
Group Icon

Member No.: 148 748

Active Squad

I am currently working on getting three female eevees to evolve into Jolteon, Flareon, and Glaceon. After I get them, I'm naming the Flareon Vivian, the Jolteon Marilyn, and the Glaceon Beldam. As well as a Zorua I have named Doopliss. All four are a referance to one of my favorite games of all time.(no prizes for guessing the game)

This post has been edited by Professor Stokes: Aug 27 2011, 11:46 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

toastbird
post Aug 28 2011, 01:13 AM
Post #11

:3
Group Icon

Member No.: 44 717

Current SS Team.

Whew, so I'm not the only one nicknaming all my Pokemon. Not that I ever thought I was.

I name my Shiny Hunt Pokemon names I feel like, for example two Purrloin eggs if I shall hatch at the same time are one female and one male, from my breeding pair, so siblings, I want to call them Joe and Joanna.

I also use warrior cat-themed names. Or, I used to at least.

When I was in the Litwick hunt I named all my Litwick Kandle followed by something, e.g. Kandle Omegra, Kandle Jargonis, Kandle Boryas(don't ask).

YEAH! NAME LIST! (click to show)

Unfortunately I now only write a description for important Pokemon, for example ones on my favourite species list(which is strangely long) that I don't have many of and legendaries.
I dress up as many as possible, I don't care what gender or species they are.

And so ends my detailed and longer than normal post.

--------------------

DeviantArt: TechnoScherzo
YouTube: Hypocrite Kitty
Tumblr: hypo-kitty
Instagram: @tiramintsu

Have a nice day!:)

+Quote Post

Doctor Octopus
post Aug 28 2011, 11:13 PM
Post #12

Just your friendly neighborhood supervillain.
Group Icon

Member No.: 11 632

The Sinister Six

I only nickname and describe my shinies, legendaries, and novelties, but... considering that I've got most of the novelties, quite a few legendaries, and I'm well in to my second box of shinies... yeah, there's a lot of them there. .___.

Honestly though, I like hunting for shinies when I match 'em up with characters that I like/characters from stuff that I like. Otto Octavius, my shiny Octillery, is a prime example - he's on the top ten Most Interacted list. :T Towards the bottom, but still. He's there. And therefore, it makes me glee. <3

As for exactly why I chose Togetic for Rosie, Otto's wife from the movies, well... 'tis a bit of a long-ish story. See, I had this crazy idea for a crossover fanfic, and it spawned from what I named my character when I was playing through Soul Silver.
... Yeah, I got a guy and named him Otto.
And then the Togepi egg that the guy gives you, well... she hatched female, and I thought that Rosie would be a fitting name for her. Hence, Togetic Rosie.
(not that long of a story after all, lolol.)

For the most part, whatever's not named after a character from something is either something I came up with off the top of my head (several of my shiny genderfails are like that |T), or they're... just lulzy. :T (Lagmonster, my Regigigas, is a good example of this. He's only two inches tall. And likes to chew on wires.)

This post has been edited by Doctor Octopus: Aug 28 2011, 11:15 PM

--------------------

GTS/GPX+'s resident inactive supervillain.
I go by Doc, Otto, and Doc Ock, whichever strikes your fancy.

old, out of date signature things (click to show)
+Quote Post

Carefactorzero
post Aug 29 2011, 03:44 PM
Post #13

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 19 837

Active Squad

Lampent: I raise you 50

Look at the sprite and imagine it at a poker game with a $50 chip in its raised hand. =P
+Quote Post

Mental Disarray
post Aug 30 2011, 04:57 AM
Post #14

It's the luck of the draw.
Group Icon

Member No.: 107 100

Illusionists

I name all of my shinys, like many people here. So far I have:

Spark the Pichu - Self explanatory
Old Blue the Relicanth - Named after a truck-boat in an episode of Spongebob. "COME ON OLD BLUE!!!!"
Hex the Zorua - Dark magic.
Blue Paint the Zangoose - Blueness
Jeffrey the Bidoof - Jeff (Big Bidoof) and the name Jeffrey
Loki the Lampent - Norse god of trickery and fire.
Genesis the Cherrim - Means "great"
Fortune the Fossil Kabuto - Again, self explanatory

And I name all pokemon that catch Pokerus

Chieftain the Tauros - Tauren Chieftain off Warcraft 3
Joeys Rat Fail the Rattata - Self explanatory

This post has been edited by Live Wire: Aug 30 2011, 05:01 AM

--------------------

Art(for me!) (click to show)

Credits and Links to various things. (click to show)

+Quote Post

Flaming Magikarp
post Aug 30 2011, 11:22 PM
Post #15

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 135 481

Active Squad

I name most of my favourites.

I name all fossil pokemon i have made after depressing or evil things eg: Ryleh after the sunken city in the call of cthulhu.

Named rotom Virus 001 not very origonal.

Named my Groudon Obsidian after the rock Obsidian kinda obvious :P

Named my Acelgor Paradox Knight because one of my favorite things is a paradox.

Named my Houndoom Hellhound for obvious reasons.

that's all so far.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Jade
post Aug 31 2011, 01:20 AM
Post #16

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 58 868

My Favorites

Well, when I was doing my Gem hunt (for my eight shiny eevees) I literally gave them Gem names XD

Glaceon - Zircon ('Cambodian/Blue Zircon' - a very beautiful icy color gem)

Leafeon - Peri ('Peridot' - Birthstone of August which fits since this pokemon is very summery, being grass-type)

Flareon - Jasper ('Red Jasper' - Was gonna name him after Garnet, but couldn;t masculinize it well and Jasper fit more with the sassy personality)

Jolteon - Jaden ('Jade' - my longest hunt thus far/favorite Pokemon was named after myself XD)

Vaporeon - Thyst ('Amethyst' - Was hard to choose who to evolve this one into at first since the personality was quirky - I choose Vaporeon because Amethyst is believed to protect one from being drunk and the methyst part of Amethyst means intoxicated, so I shortened it XD)

Espeon - Emery ('Emerald' - I was hoping for a girl at first to name her Emma, but then thought Emery was cuter and of course it fit a boy.)

Umbreon - Saphira ('Sapphire' - my last hatched and only girl! Was gonna name her Saph in the likely chance it was a boy, but I was really happy to get a girl.)

Eevee - Silver ('Silver' - The only non-gem named of the Eevees. Why? Because Eevee is the base evolution of the eeveelutions, like 'silver' is a base for gemstones in jewelry, where gems tend to be the most precious and sought after)

Of course I have other names. Duet for Doudo. Trinity for Dodrio. Justina my Clefairy and Toda my Haunter are named after my two best friends and those are their favorite Pokemon.
One of my shiny hunts - for Corphish - was started because I thought of a name first. I wanted to name her Coral (and was SUPER HAPPY she hatched a girl).
And I have shiny female Lileep too who I named Aqua Lilium. Which literally means Sea Lily - which is what she is XD

And I name ALL of my Legends with their 'own' names basically. Deoxys is Dee-Dee. Reshiram is Reshi. Shaymin is Shay-Shay. Palkia is Paul (which is ironic with D/P have a Paul and both of them being purple). An the exception of land-form Shaymin who I named Minnie, since I already had Shaymin and it fits since she's tiny XD

I've gotten really lazy with naming though. I haven't named anyone in awhile XD Need to catch up on that.

--------------------
Follow Shay-Shay's flight and he will bring you to a place where eggs and Pokemon need much love.
Shaymin cares, do you?

+Quote Post

PokeNOM NOM NOM
post Aug 31 2011, 04:52 AM
Post #17

Spriter / Writer
Group Icon

Active Squad

I've seen a lot of very creative shiny Porygon names as well, when we all hunted them side-wide.

I wrecked my brain thinking of a name for my own.
Decided on 'Johnny App'.

What did you guys name your shiny Porygon?

--------------------

'Counterbalanced'
+Quote Post

Count Bleck
post Aug 31 2011, 02:29 PM
Post #18

Let's fight. Like gentlemons.
Group Icon

Member No.: 819

Cast of SPM! (evil)

My Porygon-Z is Named DIZ-Z, an OC of sorts. She's a wonderful little Porygon who was bred "Naturally" and somehow has emotions and feelings. Some argue that DIZ-Z might have a soul. She isn't aware, however, that she and her kind are mechanical, so she truly believes she's a breathing creature. Her Name is DIZ-Z because when she thinks really hard or is excited, her eyes move in a fast circular motion, which, of course, can make gazers dizzy. cat.gif

--------------------

"75% of Roleplayers don't care about doing a good job at Roleplaying. If you are one of the 25% of roleplayers who really cares, copy and paste this into your signature."
Click these eggs or feel my CLAWS!!! -CommanderZerxer, Shiny Zergoose

"White forest and Black City. Thank goodness Gamefreak and Nintendo decided to make it that way or people would think it was racist."-hungryhippo247, Youtube.

glitter (click to show)
roleplay (click to show)
cards groups and pics (click to show)
+Quote Post

Domina
post Aug 31 2011, 02:53 PM
Post #19

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 144 097

Active Squad

I need to catch up on naming...

My Marowak is Dante, after Zelda's Dante the Gravekeeper. I like to name things after other things.

--------------------

Click for party!
+Quote Post

Swizzle
post Aug 31 2011, 03:36 PM
Post #20

Wartortle Tamer
Group Icon

Member No.: 23 793

The Crew

I named my shiny Porygon T32 after the "codename" of one of my characters. He's a scientist. C:

I tried to dress him similar but it is limited on the dressup...I think the green goggles go better on the porygon too.

Spoiler (click to showhide)

--------------------

~Kai avatar by PurpleKecleon~

squid comin through get out the way くコ:彡 =3

AWESUM trainer portrait by Kady!
+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:41 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.